IOWA CITY, Iowa— The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to Penn State, 4-3, on Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
The Hawkeyes started the match off strong, winning the doubles point after just two matches. The team of Michelle Bacalla and Cloe Ruette defeated Chelsea Sawyer and Olivia Ryan, 6-1, at the No. 3 position. Sophie Clark and Ashleigh Jacobs claimed the doubles point for the Hawkeyes in their win over Sawyer and Ryan of Penn State, 6-1.
Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell grabbed the first singles win of the day for the Hawkeyes, defeating Oliva Rohrbacher in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. At the time, van Heuvelen’s win squared the match up at 2-2.
Sophie Clark tallied her seventh singles win of the season, defating Chelsea Sawyer in a three-set thriller, 7-5, 4-6, 6-2.
Samantha Mannix was defeated by #No. 98 Gabby O’Gorman in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2, at the No. 1 position. Ashleigh Jacobs dropped her singles match to Frederikke Svarre, 6-1, 6-0, at the No. 4 position. Cloe Ruette fell just short to Shannon Hanley in her singles match, 6-4, 7-5, at the No. 6 position. In the final match of day, Michelle Bacalla lost in a nail-biter to Penn State’s Samantha Smith, 1-6, 6-3, 7-5.
QUOTING HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“This one definitely stings. This team is very young and we are still learning how to handle difficult, especially pressure, situations. These are moments that I can’t manufacture other than they just present themselves. At the end of the match, today, we had three freshman on the court and they will continue to grow and learn. We feel terrible that they couldn’t pull it out at the end but we’re hoping this translates to a resilient and determined week of practice.”
The Hawkeyes travel to the Mike Goss Tennis Stadium in Manhattan, Kansas, to face Kansas State on March 2. Action begins at 11:30 a.m. (CT).
1. Gabby O’Gorman (PSU) def. Samantha Mannix (IOWA) 6-4, 6-2
2. Elise van Heuvelen (IOWA) def. Olivia Rohrbacher (PSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Sophie Clark (IOWA) def. Chelsea Sawyer (PSU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
4. Frederikke Svarre (PSU) def. Ashleigh Jacobs (IOWA) 6-1, 6-0
5. Samantha Smith (PSU) def. Michelle Bacalla (IOWA) 1-6, 6-3, 7-5
6. Shannon Hanley (PSU) def. Cloe Ruette (IOWA) 6-4, 7-5
1. Samantha Mannix/Elise van Heuvelen (IOWA) def. Gabby O’Gorman/Olivia Rohrbacher (PSU) 4-2
2. Sophie Clark/Ashleigh Jacobs (IOWA) def. Frederikke Svarre/Samantha Smith (PSU) 6-2
3. Michelle Bacalla/Cloe Ruette (IOWA) def. Chelsea Sawyer/Olivia Ryan (PSU) 6-1
Penn State: 7-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,1,2,6,3,5)