ANN ARBOR, Mich— The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to No. 14 Michigan on Sunday, 7-0, at the Varsity Tennis Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
The Wolverines swept the Hawkeyes in singles and doubles.
Sophie Clark fell in her No. 3 singles match to No. 21 Chiara Lommer, 6-1, 6-4. Samantha Mannix faced a similar challenge in her loss to No. 29 Browne Minor, 6-3, 7-5 at No. 2. Adorabol Huckleby dropped her No. 6 singles match to Alyvia Jones, 6-4, 6-1.
Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell was defeated by No. 4 Kate Fahey in straight sets, 7-5 (2), 6-1. Michelle Bacalla also dropped her No. 5 singles match to Anca Craciun, 6-4, 7-6 (1).
In a three-set match, Ashleigh Jacobs battled and fell just short to No. 89 Giulia Pairone, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2, in her No. 4 singles match.
QUOTING SASHA SCHMID
“We are continuing to put ourselves in positions to close out sets and matches and the team is working through the challenge of bringing their best tennis to the crucial points in the match. We made some progress today in that area and we are determined to keep working to close the gap in these competitive matches.”
The Hawkeyes return to action Sunday, March 24th, in a Big Ten road match at No. 13 Ohio State. Start time is 11 a.m. (CT) at the Varsity Tennis Center.
No. 14 Michigan 7, Iowa 0
1. Kate Fahey/Brienne Minor (MICH) def. Elise Van Heuvelen Treadwell/Samantha Mannix (Iowa), 6-2
2. Giulia Pairone/Anca Craciun (MICH) vs. Ashleigh Jacobs/Danielle Bauers (Iowa), 6-5 DNF
3. Alyvia Jones/Bella Lorenzini (MICH) def. Sophie Clark/Michelle Bacalla (Iowa), 6-4
1. No. 4 Kate Fahey (MICH) def. Elise Van Heuvelen Treadwell (Iowa), 7-5 (2), 6-1
2. No. 29 Brienne Minor (MICH) def. Samantha Mannix (Iowa), 6-3, 7-5
3. No. 21 Chiara Lommer (MICH) def. Sophie Clark (Iowa), 6-1, 6-4
4. No. 89 Giulia Pairone (MICH) def. Ashleigh Jacobs (Iowa), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Anca Craciun (MICH) def. Michelle Bacalla (Iowa), 6-4, 7-6 (1)
6. Alyvia Jones (MICH) def. Adorabol Huckleby (Iowa) 6-4, 6-1
No. 14 Michigan: 7-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1.3); Singles (3,2,6,1,5,4)