FORT MYERS, Florida – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated South Alabama in its season opener, 6-1, Saturday afternoon at the Florida Gulf Coast University Tennis Complex. The Hawkeyes are 4-0 in season openers under head coach Sasha Schmid.
The Hawkeyes started strong and captured the doubles point with wins from Ashleigh Jacobs partnered with Danielle Bauers, and Samantha Mannix with Danielle Burich. Jacobs and Bauers defeated Diana Morena/Yurie Taknishi, 7-5. Mannix and Burich bested Milka Pasenen/Leslie Soto, 6-1.
The Hawkeyes took five of six singles matches to clinch the victory. At the No. 1 position Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell defeated Yu Fujioka 6-2, 6-1. Mannix won at the No. 2 spot, defeating Nikola Kohoutova 7-6 (5), 6-4. Jacobs defeated Pasenen 5-7, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3, and Michelle Bacalla defeated Taknishi in the four spot 6-2, 5-7, 6-3. Competing in the sixth spot, Burich defeated Soto 6-4, 6-1.
Quoting Head Coach Sasha Schmid
“It was great to get the season started today against a competitive South Alabama team. I thought we competed well for our first match of the season. It’s always important to close out sets and matches, and we had to play well in crucial situations in each match we played today. We need to learn all we can from today have a good practice tomorrow and prepare for another tough match against FIU on Monday afternoon.”
The Hawkeyes face Florida International on Monday at 12 p.m. (CT) at the USTA National Complex in Orlando, Fla.
Iowa 6, South Alabama 1
Jan. 18, 2020 | 9 a.m. | Fort Myers, Florida | FGCU Tennis Complex
1. Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell (UI) def. Yu Fujioka (USA): 6-2, 6-1
2. Samantha Mannix (UI) def. Nikola Kohoutova (USA): 7-6(5), 6-4
3. Ashleigh Jacobs (UI) def. Milka Pasenen (USA): 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
4. Michelle Bacalla (UI) def. Yurie Taknishi (USA): 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
5. Diana Monsalve (USA) def. Danielle Bauers (UI): 7-5, 5-7, 13-11
6. Danielle Burich (UI) def. Leslie Soto (USA): 6-4, 6-2
1. Van Heuvelen Treadwell/Bacalla (UI) vs. Fujioka/Kohoutova (USA): 5-4, unfinished
2. Jacobs/Bauers (UI) def. Morena/Taknishi (USA): 7-5
3. Mannix/Burich (UI) def. Pasenen/Soto (USA): 6-1
South Alabama: 0-2