EAST LANSING, Michigan – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team won its Big Ten opener versus Michigan State on Sunday morning at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility, 4-3. This was the first time the Hawkeyes have won a Big Ten Opener since 2014 when they defeated Nebraska, 6-1.
The Hawkeyes got the first point behind a strong doubles performance. At the No. 1 position, Ashleigh Jacobs and Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell defeated Maja Pietrowicz and Dagmar Zdrubecka, 6-3. At the No. 2 spot Michelle Bacalla and Samantha Mannix defeated Samantha Memije and Nicole Stephens, 6-3. Danielle Bauers and Danielle Burich were leading 5-4 when their match was stopped.
Michigan State tied things up at 1-1 early with a win at the No. 2 position, when Memije defeated Mannix 6-0, 6-0.
The Hawkeyes and Spartans then split the No. 4 and No. 5 singles to make it 2-2. Jacobs beat Stephens, 6-4, 6-3 and Pietrowicz defeated Bauers, 3-6, 6-2, 6-1.
The Hawkeyes then pulled away winning at No. 3 and No 1 singles. Bacalla defeated Lauren Lemonds: 6-3, 5-7, 6-4. Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell picked up her seventh win in a row and her team leading 10th on the season to clinch the match defeating Mary Lewis: 6-4, 4-6, 6-3. Van Heuvelen Treadwell’s 10-1 record on the season is the best start for a Hawkeye since since Sonja Molnar went 11-1 in 2010.
Jennifer Timotin beat Danielle Burich at No. 6, 6-7, 7-5, 6-2 to make the final score 4-3.
Quoting Head Coach Sasha Schmid
“Good start to the Big Ten season for us. We started strong in doubles and carried the momentum over to singles. It got a little close towards the end, but the girls did a great job closing out matches. We’ve been in many of these close matches and we are improving with each one of them. Now we’re looking forward to another challenge at Indiana and Purdue next week.”
The Hawkeyes take on Indiana on Friday, March 13 at 1 p.m. (CT) in Bloomington, Indiana and Purdue on Saturday, March 14 at 10 a.m. (CT) in West Lafayette, Indiana.
Iowa 4, Michigan State 3
March 8, 2020 | 9 a.m. | East Lansing, Michigan | MSU Indoor Tennis Facility
1. Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell (IOWA) def. Mary Lewis (MSU): 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
2. Samantha Memije (MSU) def. Samantha Mannix (IOWA): 6-0, 6-0
3. Michelle Bacalla (IOWA) def.
4. Ashleigh Jacobs (IOWA) def. Nicole Stephens (MSU): 6-4, 6-3
5. Maja Pietrowicz (MSU) def. Danielle Bauers (IOWA): 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Jennifer Timotin (MSU) def. Danielle Burich (IOWA): 6-7, 7-5, 6-2
1. Ashleigh Jacobs/Elise Van Heuvelen Treadwell (IOWA) def. Maja Pietrowicz/Dagmar Zdrubecka (MSU): 6-3
2. Michelle Bacalla/Samantha Mannix (IOWA) def. Samantha Memije/Nicole Stephens (MSU): 6-3
3. Danielle Bauers/Danielle Burich (IOWA) vs. Lauren Lemonds/Tia Mukherjee (MSU): 5-4, unfinished
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,4,5,3,1,6)
Michigan State: 8-5