IOWA CITY, Iowa – University of Iowa head baseball coach Rick Heller released the details of the Hawkeyes’ 53 game regular season schedule on Thursday. The Hawkeyes will play 25 games at Duane Banks Field during the 2022 season.
Iowa will open the season with the Swig & Swine Classic from Feb. 18-20 in Charleston, South Carolina. The Hawkeyes’ home opener is set for March 1 against Loras College.
– The Hawkeyes will play 12 games (four three-game series) against teams that qualified for NCAA Regionals in 2021. Iowa will play road series at UC Irvine (March 11-13), Michigan (April 1-3) and Nebraska (April 29-May 1), while hosting Central Michigan (March 25-27) for three games.
– Iowa will play nonconference tournaments in South Carolina (Swig & Swine Classic) and two in the Lone Star State (Kleberg Bank Classic and Frisco College Baseball Classic).
– Before opening Big Ten play, the Hawkeyes will host a pair of three-game series, facing Merrimack from March 18-20 and Central Michigan from March 25-27.
– Iowa will host Illinois (April 8-10), Minnesota (April 15-17), Purdue (May 6-8) and Indiana (May 19-21) in Big Ten play and travel for road league series at Michigan (April 1-3), Rutgers (April 22-24), Nebraska (April 29-May 1) and Michigan State (May 13-15).
– The Hawkeyes will host midweek games against Loras, St. Thomas (twice), Grand View, Bradley, Western Illinois and Illinois State. The team will travel for midweek road contests at Illinois State, Bradley, Milwaukee and Illinois Chicago.
– After a year hiatus, the Big Ten Tournament returns and it will be held from May 24-29 at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska. The top eight teams in the Big Ten regular season standings will qualify for the double elimination tournament.
– NCAA Regionals will take play from June 3-5.
The Hawkeyes return five positional starters, including All-Big Ten second baseman Izaya Fullard, two weekend starting pitchers and a total of 20 letterwinners from a team that finished 26-18 overall against a Big Ten only schedule to tie for fourth in the regular season standings.