|OPPONENT||#12/12 Iowa (5-1) vs. #15/13 Iowa State (8-1)|
|LOCATION||Ames, Iowa (Hilton Coliseum)|
|DATE||Wednesday, Dec. 8|
|TIP-OFF||6 p.m. (CT)|
|RADIO||HAWKEYE RADIO NETWORK|
The No. 12 University of Iowa women’s basketball team heads to Ames, Iowa, on Dec. 8 to take on the Iowa State Cyclones in the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series game inside Hilton Coliseum. Tipoff is set for 6 p.m. CT on ESPNU.
The Hawkeyes lead the series over Iowa State, 29-22, winning the last five matchups over the Cyclones.
ON THE AIR
Radio: Iowa games are broadcast on the Hawkeye Radio Network. Rob Brooks (play-by-play) and Jamie Cavey Lang (color) call the action. Brooks is in his sixth year as the play-by-play announcer for the Iowa women’s basketball team. He has been Iowa football’s sideline reporter since 2004. Brooks has called seven different Iowa sports on radio or television. Lang is in her sixth year as Iowa’s color commentator. She lettered at Iowa from 2002-05. Lang finished her Hawkeye career with 1,265 points and 506 rebounds. She was a two-time All-Big Ten selection.
TV: Wednesday’s contest will be televised ESPNU. Pam Ward and Stephanie White are on the call.
PROGRAM QUICK HITS
- The Hawkeyes finished the 2020-21 season 20-10 overall and 11-8 in Big Ten play, advancing to the Big Ten Tournament Championship game and the NCAA Sweet 16.
- The Hawkeyes finished the season ranked in the top-11 nationally in 11 statistical categories, including first in field goal percentage (51.3) and 3-point percentage (40.8), second in scoring offense (86.1), third in free-throw percentage (80.0), and fifth in assists per game (20.1).
- Head Coach Lisa Bluder and staff led Iowa to its 12th 20-win season over the last 14 seasons and 14th in Bluder’s tenure.
- Freshman Caitlin Clark earned consensus first team All-America status with honors from WBCA, USBWA, and The Athletic. Associated Press named Clark to their second team.
- Clark was named National Co-Freshman of the Year by The Athletic, USBWA, and the WBCA.She was also named the Dawn Staley Award recipient — an award that goes to the best guard in women’s basketball.
- In the Big Ten, Clark was named Freshman of the Year, unanimous first team All-Big Ten, unanimously selected to the all-freshman team. Junior Monika Czinano earned first team all-Big Ten honors. The pair were also named to the All-Big Ten Tournament team.
- Clark and Czinano led the country in seven statistical categories, including Czinano leading the country in shooting percentage (66.8) and Clark leading in points per game (26.6), total assists (214),
- Iowa has made 13 consecutive postseason appearances (11 NCAA, 2 WNIT) when a postseason tournament was held. The 2020 postseason was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Hawkeyes have made a postseason tournament appearance in 19 of head coach Lisa Bluder’s 21 seasons at the helm of the program, receiving 14 NCAA Tournament and four WNIT (2003, 2005, 2016, 2017) bids, including eight Sweet 16 appearances — most recently in 2021.
- Bluder is one of six active Division I women’s head coaches to win 795 games or more in her career. She completes her 37th season as a head coach and 21st at Iowa in 2020-21.
- Bluder owns a 444-235 (.654) record and a 221-135 (.621) conference mark at Iowa. In her 37 seasons as a head coach, Bluder is 800-377 (.680).
SCOUTING IOWA STATE
- The Hawkeyes lead the series over Iowa State, 29-22, winning the last five matchups over the Cyclones.
- Four Cyclones average double-figure scoring, including senior guard/forward Ashley Joens (20.2), sophomore guard Lexi Donarski (15.4), sophomore guard Aubrey Joens (13.3), and sophomore guard Emily Ryan (10.0).
- The Joens sisters lead the rebounding efforts for Iowa State with Ashley averaging 9.4 and Aubrey averaging 8.9 rebounds per game.
- Ryan ranks fifth nationally with 54 total assists and 16th with 6.0 assists per game.
- Head Coach Bill Fennelly is in his 27th season at the helm of Iowa State women’s basketball. Fennelly has guided the Cyclones to 12 NCAA appearances in the last 15 seasons and holds a 540-284 record as a Cyclone.
(HAWK)EYES ON THE SEASON
- The Hawkeyes are 5-1 overall and 1-0 in Big Ten play with its most recent win over Michigan State, 88-61, on Dec. 5,
- Sophomore Caitlin Clark leads Iowa, averaging 22 points, 8.7 rebounds and 7.8 assists per game. Clark’s 7.8 assists per game lead the country, while she ranks sixth nationally with 22 points per game and 13th nationally in defensive rebounds per game (8.0).
- Clark and junior McKenna Warnock have each tallied double-doubles this season. Clark has tallied three on the season, while Warnock has registered one.
- Senior Monika Czinano and Warnock average 17.7 and 13.3 points per game. The pair also average 7.0 (Warnock) and 5.7 (Czinano) rebounds per game.
- Czinano ranks third in the nation in field goal percentage (67.7)
- Redshirt junior Kate Martin ranks second on the team, averaging 3.2 assists per game.