IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team falls to Minnesota, 6-1, on Monday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
The Hawkeyes got a straight-set win from senior Samantha Mannix at No. 3 singles. Mannix, who was making her first appearance at No. 3 this season, picked up her fourth win with a 6-3, 6-4 decision.
The win tied the match, 1-1, and Iowa had its chances at No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles, but narrowly lost three-set decisions in each match.
Minnesota also earned wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 singles positions, and won the first two matches in doubles to secure the doubles point.
The teams met Monday as non-conference opponents. Iowa officially opens Big Ten play March 18 at 5 p.m. (CT) against Ohio State in Iowa City, Iowa.
HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“We are obviously in a stretch where we have had disappointing losses. Today was another tough match where we fell short. We have to keep going. We have a tough opponent coming up Friday against Memphis and we have to stay hungry, focused and get better.”
The Hawkeyes host Memphis on Friday at 4 p.m. (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
Minnesota 6, Iowa 1
1. Rachel Hanford (UM) def. Marisa Schmidt (UI): 7-6, 6-1
2. Emilee Duong (UM) def. Michelle Bacalla (UI): 6-4, 6-4
3. Samantha Mannix (UI) def. Maria Rizzolo (UM), 6-3, 6-4
4. Vasia Karvouni (UM) def. Samatha Gillas (UI): 2-6, 6-3, 6-0
5. Anfisa Danilchenko (UM) def. Vipasha Mehra (UI): 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
6. Dalila Said (UM) def. Barbora Pokorna (UI): 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
1. Hanford/Duong (UM) def. Mehra/Schmidt (UI): 6-2
2. Said/ Danilchenko (UM) vs. Pokorna/Bacalla (UI): Unfinished
3. Lu/Rizzolo (UM) def. Mannix/Gillas (UI): 6-4
Order of Finish: Singles (3,1,2,4,) Doubles (1,3)