IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fells to No. 48 Memphis, 5-2, on Friday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
The Tigers opened the match taking the doubles point with wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions.
Memphis also took the first point in singles as senior Michelle Bacalla fell to Aran Teixido Garcia in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0.
The Tigers grew their lead to three with a win on court six as Monique Woog defeated Vipasha Mehra, 6-1, 6-3.
Iowa then rattled off two straight wins to bring the score to 3-2. On court one, Marisa Schmidt bested Camila Romero in straight sets winning, 6-4, 6-4. On court five, Barbora Pokorna defeated Camila Soares by a score of, 6-4, 7-5.
The Tigers clinched the match winning at the No. 3 spot as Alisha Reayer was victorious over Samantha Mannix, 6-4, 0-6, 6-1.
Memphis won the final point of the match on court number four as Emily Meyer defeated Samantha Gillis, 7-5, 3-6, 7-5.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“I think it was really two great straight-set victories for Barbora and Marisa. Those were hard fought matches. Obviously tough for a couple of the kids to lose close singles matches. We knew Memphis was going to be good. Really for us we have to find a way to make life easier with the doubles point, and then continue to keep competing in singles to get to four points.”
The Hawkeyes open Big Ten play against Ohio State on Friday, March 18 at 5 p.m. (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
Memphis 5, Iowa 2
1. Marisa Schmidt (UI) def. Camila Romero (UM): 6-4, 6-4
2. Aran Teixido Garcia (UM) def. Michelle Bacalla (UI): 6-1, 6-0
3. Alisha Reayer (UM) def. Samantha Mannix (UI): 6-4, 0-6, 6-1
4. Emily Meyer (UM) def. Samantha Gillis (UI): 7-5, 3-6, 7-5
5. Barbora Pokorna (UI) def. Camila Soares (UM): 6-4, 7-5
6. Monique Woog (UM) def. Vipasha Mehra (UI): 6-1, 6-3
1. Mannix/Mehra (UI) vs. Teixido Garcia/Romero (UM): Unfinished
2. Reayer/Soares (UM) def. Gillas/Bacalla (UI): 6-3
3. Meyer/Woog (UM) def. Schmidt/Pokorna (UI): 7-5
Order of Finish: Singles (2, 6, 1, 5, 3, 4) Doubles (2,3)