IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to No. 37 Northwestern, 6-1, on Sunday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.
Northwestern (11-5, 6-0) was the second-best ranked opponent the Hawkeyes have faced this season. Sunday was the eighth time in the last 11 matches that Iowa (4-13, 0-6) has faced a ranked opponent.
The Wildcats clinched the doubles point with victories on courts two and three. They also came out taking singles wins on courts three, four, and six to secure the win.
Freshman Marisa Schmidt won her second set, 6-1, against No. 106 Clarissa Hand, but came up short in the third set battle.
Sophomore Vipasha Mehra secured the lone point for the Hawkeyes to close out the match. After falling in the first set, Mehra battled back to upend Justine Leong in a nail-bitter, 3-6, 7-6(5), 10-8.
The Hawkeyes travel to College Park, Maryland, on Friday to face Maryland. The match is set to start at 4:30 p.m. (CT) at the Junior Tennis Champions Center.
#37 Northwestern 6, Iowa 1
1. Clarissa Hand (NWU) def. Marisa Schmidt (UI): 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
2. Maria Shusharina (NWU) def. Barbora Pokorna (UI): 6-4, 6-3
3. Sydney Pratt (NWU) def. Samanrtha Mannix (UI): 6-1, 6-2
4. Ema Lazic (NWU) def. Samantha Gillis (UI): 6-1, 6-2
5. Vipasha Mehra (UI) def. Justine Leong (NWU): 3-6, 7-6(5), 10-8
6. Christina Hand (NWU) def. Michelle Bacalla (UI): 6-1, 6-3
1. Mannix/Pokorna (UI) vs. Cl. Hand/Shusharina (NWU): 3-5 unfinished
2. Ch. Hand/Crowley (NWU) def. Gillas/Bacalla (UI): 6-2
3. Pratt/Mccolgan (NWU) def. Mehra/Schmidt (UI): 6-1
Order of Finish: Singles (3,4,6,2,1,5); Doubles (3,2)