IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team lost to No. 22 Michigan, 4-0, on Sunday on “Senior Day” at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.
The nationally-ranked Wolverines recorded wins on courts one (6-3) and two (6-2) to capture the doubles point. Senior Michelle Bacalla and freshman Barbora Pokorna were serving for match point at No. 3 when doubles competition was called leading 5-3.
Michigan (14-5, 8-1) opened singles play with victories by ranked athletes on courts one and two. Marisa Schmidt fell at No. 1 in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, to No. 77 Jaedan Brown, while No. 15 Kari Miller bounced Barbora Pokorna, 6-2, 6-1, on court two.
The Wolverines clinched the match on court six when Bacalla fell, 6-3, 6-0.
Samantha Mannix won the first set (6-4) and was even in the second set (4-4) against No. 121 Nicole Hammond when the match was called. Vipasha Mehra and Samantha Gillas also had their respective matches called in the second sets. Mehra won her first set (6-4), while Gillas dropped her first set (7-5).
Iowa (6-15, 2-8) travels to Lincoln, Nebraska, to compete against Nebraska (13-9, 6-4) in the regular season finale. That match will begin at 11 a.m. (CT) on Saturday at the Sid and Hazel Dillon Tennis Center.
#22 Michigan 4, Iowa 0
1. #77 Jaedan Brown (MICH) def. Marisa Schmidt (UI): 6-1, 6-2
2. #15 Kari Miller (MICH) def. Barbora Pokorna (UI): 6-2, 6-1
3. Samantha Mannix (UI) vs. #121 Nicole Hammond (MICH): 6-4, 4-4, unfinished
4. Vipasha Mehra (UI) vs. Andrea Cerdan (MICH): 6-4, 0-4, unfinished
5. Samantha Gillas (UI) vs. Julia Fliegner (MICH): 5-7, 2-3, unfinished
6. Gala Mesochoritou (MICH) def. Michelle Bacalla (UI): 6-3, 6-1
1. Fliegner/Brown (MICH) def. Gillas/Mannix (UI): 6-3
2. Cerdan/Miller (MICH) def. Schmidt/Mehra (UI): 6-2
3. Pokorna/Bacalla (UI) vs. Craciun/Hammond (MICH): 5-2, unfinished
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,2,6)