|MATCHUP||Iowa (34-18) vs. Penn State (26-28)|
|LOCATION||Charles Schwab Field Omaha | Omaha, Neb.|
|DATE||May 28, 2022 | 9 a.m. (CT)|
|LISTEN||Hawkeye Radio Network | The Varsity Network|
|LIVE STATS||Live Stats|
|Game 1 | May 28 | 9 a.m. (CT)||UI: RHP Ty Langenberg (6-2, 3.61)
PSU: RHP Tommy Molsky (0-6, 7.07 ERA)
The third-seeded University of Iowa baseball team plays its second straight elimination game, facing No. 6 seed Penn State in a rematch on Saturday at 9 a.m. (CT) at Charles Schwab Field Omaha.
• With a victory over Penn State, Iowa would face the winner of the Michigan-Maryland on Saturday at 5 p.m.
• Iowa’s 34 wins are the third-most in the Rick Heller era and eighth-most in a single-season in program history. Heller has three of the top eight win totals (41, 2015; 39, 2017).
• The Hawkeyes won with small ball on Friday against Purdue, finishing with a season-high three sacrifice hits in the contest. One of the sacrifices was a safety squeeze by Michael Seegers.
• Iowa is hitting .164 (10-of-61) in two games in Omaha. Cade Moss is leading the team with a .333 (2-for-6) average.
• Iowa has won at least one Big Ten Tournament game in six of the last seven tournaments.
IOWA-PENN STATE REMATCH
The Hawkeyes and Nittany Lions meet for the second time in three days. Penn State downed Iowa, 5-2, limiting the Hawkeyes to a season-low two hits. Iowa’s pitchers punched out 17 Nittany Lion batters in the contest.
Sophomore Ty Langenberg has settled into weekend rotation as Iowa’s Sunday starter. He has made 11 straight Sunday starts. The Urbandale, Iowa, native is 6-2 with a 3.61 ERA, giving up just 25 runs on 57 hits over 57 1/3 innings. Langenberg has 69 strikeouts to 19 walks on the year.
• The righty notched his sixth win, tossing five shutout innings in a 2-1 victory over Indiana on May 21. He scattered four hits and fanned four.
• Langenberg earned his fifth win, tossing a career-long seven innings in the series-clinching win over Purdue on May 8. He allowed one run on five hits and fanned seven en route to being named the Big Ten Pitcher of the Week on May 11.
• Langenberg’s fourth win came after tossing 5 2/3 shutout innings at Michigan on April 3. He scattered five hits and had a career-high 11 strikeouts.
• He had 34 strikeouts (10 vs. Texas Tech, 7 vs. Central Michigan, 11 at Michigan, 6 vs. Illinois) in four starts from March 20-April 10. He has eight or more Ks in three appearances this season.