IOWA CITY, Iowa – University of Iowa head baseball coach Rick Heller released the details of the Hawkeyes’ 54-game regular season schedule on Wednesday. The Hawkeyes will play 27 games at Duane Banks Field during the 2023 season.
Iowa will begin its season with the Snowbird Baseball Classic from Feb. 17-19 in Port Charlotte, Florida. The Hawkeyes open their home slate on March 7 against an opponent to be determined.
– The Hawkeyes will play seven games (two three-game series and one solo contest) against teams that qualified for the NCAA Regionals in 2022. Iowa will play LSU at the Round Rock Classic in Round Rock, Texas, on Feb. 25 and a three-game road series in Lubbock against Texas Tech (March 10-12). The Hawkeyes will host Maryland (March 31-April 2) for three games in Iowa City.
– Iowa will play nonconference tournaments in Florida (Snowbird Baseball Classic), Texas (Round Rock Classic) and Alabama (South Alabama Invitational).
– Prior to opening Big Ten play, the Hawkeyes will host a pair of three-game series, taking on South Dakota State (March 17-19) and Western Michigan (March 24-26).
– Iowa hosts Maryland, Nebraska (April 21-23), Ohio State (May 5-7) and Michigan State (May 12-14) in league play and travel for road conference series at Indiana (April 7-9), Minnesota (April 14-16), Penn State (April 28-30), and Northwestern (May 18-20).
– The Hawkeyes hosts midweek contests against St. Thomas, Grand View, Milwaukee, Bradley, Western Illinois, Illinois State and Illinois-Chicago. The team travels for midweek road contests at Illinois State, Bradley and Illinois-Chicago.
– The Big Ten Tournament will be held at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska, from May 23-29. The top eight teams in the Big Ten regular season standings qualify for the double-elimination tournament.
The Hawkeyes return five starters, one member of the starting rotation and a total of 24 letterwinners from a team that went 36-19 overall in 2022. Iowa also has 16 newcomers, including seven transfers, joining the roster this season.