CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to Charlotte, 7-0, on Friday at LifeTime Fitness in the Hawkeyes’ season opener.
Charlotte clinched the doubles point with victories on courts one and three. Vipasha Mehra/Samantha Mannix were leading, 4-3, in their doubles match against the No. 57 ranked team on court two before play was called once the 49ers secured the point.
Marisa Schmidt, Barbora Pokorna, and Daianne Hayasida pushed their respective matches to a third set, but ultimately lost. Pia Kranholdt, Mannix, and Mehra each lost their respective singles matches in straight sets.
Hear From Head Coach Sasha Schmid:
“We played a really strong Charlotte team on the road today. It was a hard-fought match right out of the gates to open the season. We have a lot of respect for Charlotte, and they played well. Every match was competitive, and they played better than us on some of the key points to be able to close out sets and matches. We will learn from this. My biggest takeaway is that we have to hold onto the rope a little bit longer. We will regroup and head to Furman next.”
The Hawkeyes will travel to Greenville, South Carolina, to face Furman. Action starts Sunday at 10 a.m. (CT).
Charlotte 7, Iowa 0
1. Ruxi Schech (CLT) def. Marisa Schmidt (UI): 7-4, 4-6, 10-6
2. Margaux Marquet (CLT) def. Vipasha Mehra (UI): 6-4, 6-4
3. Lucia Quiterio (CLT) def. Samantha Mannix (UI): 7-6, 6-2
4. Lucie Petruzelova (CLT) def. Daianne Hayashida (UI): 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Emma Wilkins (CLT) def. Barbora Pokorna (UI): 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
6. Kaavya Sawhney (CLT) def. Pia Kranholdt (UI): 6-4, 6-2
1. #21 Maquet/Quiterio (CLT) def. Lamoreaux/Schmidt (UI): 6-3
2. #57 Schech/Sawhney (CLT) vs. Mannix/Mehra (UI): 3-4, unfinished
3. Wilkins/Petruzelova (CLT) def. Hayashida/Pokorna (UI): 6-1
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,3,2,5,4,1)