GREENVILLE, S.C. – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team notched its first win of 2023 with a 5-2 win over Furman on Sunday at the Mickel Tennis Center.
The Hawkeyes secured the doubles point with victories on courts one and three. Daianne Hayashida/Vipasha Mehra finished first with a 6-3 triumph over Dillon/Griffith at No. 3. Anya Lamoreaux/Marisa Schmidt clinched the point with another 6-3 victory over Dawson/Snyder at No. 1.
Marisa Schmidt, Daianne Hayasida, and Barbora Pokorna each posted straight set wins in singles. Vipasha Mehra won her singles match in three sets, while Samantha Mannix and Anya Lamoreaux pushed their respective matches to three sets, but ultimately fell short.
Hear From Head Coach Sasha Schmid:
“I’m proud of the team. It was a good win and bounce back from Friday. We made some good improvements and progress forward, competed better, and did a better job closing out some sets and matches. It was a good weekend. We learned a lot and grew in many ways as a team. We’re excited to return home to practice and prepare for Denver and Kansas State at home in two weeks.”
The Hawkeyes will host Denver in their home opener on Feb. 3 at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreational Complex.
Iowa 5, Furman 2
1. Marisa Schmidt (UI) def. Ellie Schuson (FUR): 7-5, 6-1
2. Jess Dawson (FUR) def. Samantha Mannix (UI): 6-2, 6-7, 6-3
3. Vipasha Mehra (UI) def. Marissa Pennings (FUR): 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
4. Daianee Hayashida (UI) def. Madison Dillon (FUR): 6-2, 6-3
5. Sara Snyder (FUR) def. Anya Lamoreaux (UI): 2-6, 6-2, 1-0
6. Barbora Pokorna (UI) def. Alexa Griffith (FUR): 6-3, 6-4
1. Lamoreaux/Schmidt (UI) def. Dawson/Snyder (FUR): 6-3
2. Kranholdt/Mannix (UI) vs. Pennings/Schulson (FUR): 4-5, unfinished
3. Hayashida/Mehra (UI) def. Dillon/Griffith (FUR): 6-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6)