IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team won their second home match of the 2023 season with a 4-1 victory over Kansas State on Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.
The Hawkeyes captured the doubles point with victories on courts two and three. Vipasha Mehra/Daianne Hayashida won first over Dekkers/Ukita (6-2) at No. 3. Samantha Mannix/Pia Kranholdt fought to a tiebreaker against Maffei/Santos and ultimately won (7-6). Marisa Schmidt/Anya Lamoreaux dropped their match against Gruszcynksa/Suarez (6-3) on court one.
Iowa (3-1) notched singles wins on courts one, two, and five. Schmidt (4-6, 6-2, 6-1) and Pokorna (4-6, 6-2, 6-2) won their respective matches in three sets. Mannix (6-4, 7-6) won the tiebreaker in the second set to register a straight-set triumph.
Mehra and Lamoreaux were both in the third sets of their respective singles matches against Kansas State (1-5), before both matches were called once the Hawkeyes clinched the team victory.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“Today was a hard-fought match that was highly contested in both doubles and singles. I think the team was really tested in many ways and it was important for us to be under pressure — as we are in those moments — especially early in the season. I was extremely proud of the way we worked through those, it was great to be tested, and be able to get through that and get the win.”
The Hawkeyes will travel to Eugene, Oregon, to face the University of Oregon on Friday at 3 p.m. (CT).
Iowa 4, Kansas State 1
1. Marisa Schmidt (UI) def. Rozalia Gruszcynksa (KSU): 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Samantha Mannix (UI) def. Florentine Dekkers (KSU): 6-4, 7-6(2)
3. Vipasha Mehra (UI) vs. Vanesa Suarez (KSU): 7-5, 3-6, 3-1, unfinished
4. Rosanna Maffei (KSU) def. Daianne Hayashida (UI): 6-3, 6-3
5. Barbora Pokorna (UI) def. Maria Santos (KSU): 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Anya Lamoreaux (UI) vs. Manami Ukita (KSU): 6-4, 4-6, 3-3, unfinished
1. Gruszcynksa/Suarez (KSU) def. Schmidt/Lamoreaux (UI): 6-3
2. Mannix/Kranholdt (UI) def. Maffei/Santos (KSU): 7-6(4)
3. Mehra/Hayashida (UI) def. Dekkers/Ukita (KSU): 6-2
Order of Finish: Singles (4,2,1,5); Doubles (1,3,2)