EUGENE, Oregon-- The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated Saint Mary’s with a final score of 5-2 on Saturday at the Student Tennis Center.
The Hawkeyes dropped the doubles point on courts one and three. Mannix/Kranholdt took their match against Harris/Houda to a tiebreaker, but fell short losing 6-7. Schmidt/Pokorna were defeated by Silva/Dong on court three, losing 0-6. Mehra/Hayashida were able to take their match against Rook/Khan, 7-5.
Iowa took over in the singles matches gaining wins on every court except court six. Vipasha Mehra and Barbora Pokorna defeated their opponents both in straight set win. Mehra defeated Rook (6-4, 6-2), while Pokorna was victorious over Dong (6-1, 6-1). Marisa Schmidt, Samantha Mannix, and Daianne Hayashida all took their matches to the third set to ultimately win. Pia Kranholdt battled hard, but lost her respective match in two sets to Silva (6-7, 3-6).
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID:
“It was good to get back out on the court again and compete against a good team like Saint Mary’s. It was a hard-fought doubles point, and it is always difficult when we drop that and have to come back and win the match in singles. I was proud of the effort that we had on all six courts to be able to get the points in singles, and I think we’re going to get home and practice and get ready for our upcoming match on the road against DePaul.”
The Hawkeyes will travel to Chicago, Illinois to face DePaul on February 21st. The match will start at 12 p.m. (CT).
Iowa 5, Saint Mary’s 2
1. Marisa Schmidt (UI) def. Jordan Harris (SMC): 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Samantha Mannix (UI) def. Lene Mari Hovda (SMC): 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
3. Vipasha Mehra (UI) def. Olivia Rook (SMC): 6-4, 6-2
4. Daianne Hayashida (UI) def. Iman Khan (SMC): 7-6, 2-6, 4-0
5. Barbora Pokorna (UI) def. Tian Yu Dong (SMC): 6-1, 6-1
6. Stefanie Silva (SMC) def. Pia Kranholdt (UI): 7-6, 6-3
1. Harris/Houda (SMC) def. Mannix/Kranholdt (UI): 7-6
2. Mehra/Hayashida (UI) def. Rook/Khan (SMC): 7-5
3. Silva/Dong (SMC) def. Schmidt/Pokorna (UI): 6-0
Order of Finish: Singles (5,3,4,2,6,1); Doubles (3,2,1)