IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team, ranked #40 nationally, was defeated by #4 Iowa State, 4-0, on Friday at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreational Complex.
The Hawkeyes dropped the doubles point with losses on courts two and three. Mannix/Kranholdt came up short on court two against Kajuru/Nong, 1-6. On court three, Lamoreaux/Pokorna lost to Kadleckova/Cabezas, 2-6. Despite losing the doubles point, Mehra/Hayashida captured a win on court one against #39 Naklo/Kuearum, 6-1.
The Cyclones swept the singles matches with wins on courts two, three, and six. Vipasha Mehra and Samantha Mannix were both defeated in straight sets by their ranked opponents with matching scores (1-6, 1-6). Mehra lost to #70 Ange Oby Kajuru, while Mannix was defeated by #63 Miska Kadleckova. Anya Lamoreaux was defeated in straight sets as well by Chie Kezuka (2-6, 1-6). Marisa Schmidt, Barbora Pokorna, and Daianne Hayashida were unable to complete their respective matches due to the previous singles points scored by Iowa State.
The Hawkeyes travel to Minneapolis, Minnesota, next weekend to play Wisconsin and Minnesota. The matches will start at noon (CT) Saturday against Wisconsin, and 11 a.m. (CT) against Minnesota Sunday.
#4 Iowa State 4, #40 Iowa 0
1. #54 Thasaporn Naklo (ISU) vs. Marisa Schmidt (UI): 6-4, 4-5, unfinished
2. #70 Ange Oby Kajuru (ISU) def. Vipasha Mehra (UI): 6-1, 6-1
3. #63 Miska Kadleckova (ISU) def. Samantha Mannix (UI): 6-1, 6-1
4. #115 Anna Supapitch Kuearum (ISU) vs. Barbora Pokorna (UI): 6-4, 4-4, unfinished
5. Daianne Hayashida (UI) vs. Sofia Cabezas (ISU): 7-5, 4-4, unfinished
6. Chie Kezuka (ISU) def. Anya Lamoreaux (UI): 6-2, 6-1
1. Mehra/Hayashida (UI) def. #39 Naklo/Kuearum (ISU): 6-1
2. Kajuru/Nong (ISU) def. Mannix/Kranholdt (UI): 6-1
3. Kadleckova/Cabezas (ISU) def. Lamoreaux/Pokorna (UI): 6-2
Order of Finish: Singles (2,3,6); Doubles (2,1,3)