MOBILE, Alabama – The University of Iowa baseball team defeated South Alabama, 6-2, on Saturday night at Stanky Field in the South Alabama Invitational.
Marcus Morgan got the start on the mound and went four innings for the Hawkeyes. He struck out seven while allowing three hits and two runs.
Jared Simpson entered in relief throwing four innings and allowing one hit to earn the win. Will Christophersen struck out three to end the game in the bottom of the ninth.
“It was a nice win vs a good team,” said head coach Rick Heller. “Marcus Morgan gave us a solid start and Jared Simpson did a nice job in relief. Will Christopherson was good in the 9th to close it out.”
Two Hawkeyes plated two RBIs on the day as Michael Seegers was 2-for-5 with a two RBI triple in the fourth and Brennen Dorighi added a two RBI single in the seventh. Sam Hojnar was 2-for-4 at the plate and he and Cade Moss both brought in a run.
“It was a strange night for our offense, but we found a way to get it done,” said Heller. “Michael Seegers, Brennen Dorighi, Sam Hojnar and Cade Moss all had big hit two out RBI hits. We played a clean game defensively and the guys played hard.”
The Hawkeyes trailed the Jaguars after three innings but a three-run inning in the fourth would be all it took for the Hawkeyes to pull away as the Iowa pitching staff shut down the South Alabama bats the remainder of the way.
- The Hawkeyes have now hit .379 (11-of-29) and tallied 19 RBIs with two outs on the weekend.
- Iowa hit .667 (4-6) with runners in scoring position and .462 (6-13) in advancement opportunities.
- Keaton Anthony extended his on base streak to 25 games dating back to last season.
- Iowa improves to 8-1 for the first time since 2018.
- Kyle Huckstorf returned to the Iowa lineup after missing two games due to injury.
- Jared Simpson earned the win, he improves to 2-0 with a 1.08 ERA.
Iowa (8-1) returns to action tomorrow in Mobile, Alabama against Pepperdine at 11 a.m. (CT).