MINNEAPOLIS – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team, ranked No. 64 nationally, defeated No. 60 Minnesota, 4-1, on Sunday in a nonconference match at the Baseline Tennis Center.
The Hawkeyes captured the doubles point after winning the match on court two and a forfeit from Minnesota on court three. Samantha Mannix/Marisa Schmidt took the win on court two against Anet Koskel/Aiva Schmitz, 6-2, to earn the point. Vipasha Mehra/Daianne Hayashida were trailing, 4-3, against Zoey Weil/Zeyneb Sarioglan before the match was abandoned.
Iowa posted singles wins on courts four, five, and six. On court four, Hayashida notched a straight-set victory over Aiva Schmitz (6-4, 6-2). On courts five and six, the Hawkeyes gained wins due to forfeits from Minnesota. Schmidt and Mannix both had a win in their first sets, but their respective matches went unfinished as a result of Iowa capturing the team win.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“I am really happy for the team to get a hard-fought road win. We have a lot of respect for Minnesota. They’re a really good team and they fight hard. That was a good match for us. We were happy to get the doubles point and then Dai’s match to get to four points. We will get back to practice and prepare to play at Michigan a week from Wednesday.”
The Hawkeyes will head to Ann Arbor to face Michigan. Action will start at 6 p.m. (ET) on Wednesday, March 15, at the Varsity Tennis Center.
#64 Iowa 4, #60 Minnesota 1
1. Anet Koskel (UMN) vs. Marisa Schmidt (UI): 5-7, 1-3, unfinished
2. Zoey Weil (UMN) vs. Samantha Mannix (UI): 2-6, 5-4, unfinished
3. Zeyneb Sarioglan (UMN) def. Vipasha Mehra (UI): 6-1, 6-4
4. Daianne Hayashida (UI) def. Aiva Schmitz (UMN): 6-4, 6-2
5. Iowa def. Minnesota, forfeit
6. Iowa def. Minnesota, forfeit
1. Zoey Weil/Zeyneb Sarioglan (UMN) vs. Vipasha Mehra/Daianne Hayashida (UI): 4-3, unfinished
2. Samantha Mannix/Marisa Schmidt (UI) def. Anet Koskel/Aiva Schmitz (UMN): 6-2
3. Iowa def. Minnesota, forfeit
Order of Finish: Singles (5,6,3,4); Doubles (3,2)