The No. 57 ranked University of Iowa women’s tennis team will face No. 47 Purdue on Friday (1 p.m. CT) and Indiana on Sunday (11 a.m. CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreational Center in Iowa City. Admission is free to this weekend’s matches.
The Hawkeyes are 7-6 overall after securing the win against Nebraska last Saturday. The Hawkeyes were down 0-1 after losing the doubles point, then came back to rally four points in singles matches to win the night. In doubles play, Pokorna/Kranholdt won 6-4 against their opponents Loy/Danilchenko. In singles competition Mehra, Pokorna, Kranholdt gained straight-set wins to help push Iowa to the 4-1 final.
FORMER HAWKEYE RETURNS
Former Hawkeye Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell was hired in December as assistant coach. Van Heuvelen Treadwell joins the Hawkeye coaching staff after serving as an assistant coach at Delaware since January 2022. She began her coaching career in the Fall of 2021 as a volunteer assistant coach with the Hawkeyes.
Van Heuvelen Treadwell concluded her Hawkeye career in the spring of 2021, as one of the most decorated women’s tennis student-athletes in Iowa and Big Ten history. Achieving an individual rank within the top-100 nationally in both singles and doubles, Van Heuvelen Treadwell ranks second all-time at Iowa with 180 combined wins. She was named first-team All-Big Ten five times and was the Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2017.
In her final year, Van Heuvelen Treadwell earned the ITA Central Region Arthur Ashe Leadership and Sportsmanship Award. The East Sussex, England, native was also named the ITA Central Regional Senior Player of the Year in 2020 and was the ITA Summer National Doubles Champion in 2019.
• Purdue is currently 11-4 this season and 2-2 in the Big Ten conference, with conference losses to No. 7 Ohio State and No. 34 Illinois.
• Four of the nine Boilermakers are international athletes; three being sophomores and one junior.
• Purdue head coach Laura Glitz is entering her 16th season with the Boilermakers.
• Liz Norman (18) and Juana Larranaga (17) lead the team in singles wins.
• Iowa leads 27-26 all-time against Purdue.
• The Hoosiers have a current record of 10-6, with a 1-3 Big Ten record.
• Indiana has lost to Northwestern, Maryland, and Penn State in conference play so far this season.
• Indiana leads Iowa 14-36 all-time.
• Five of the eight players are international players.
• Ramiro Azcui has been the head Hoosier since 2017, being the assistant coach for 24 years before then.