IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team, ranked No. 57 nationally, beat No. 47 Purdue, 4-0, on Friday at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreational Complex.
The Hawkeyes (8-6, 3-1) open the match by capturing the doubles point on courts one and two. On court one, Sam Mannix/Vipasha Mehra bounced Fodor/Norman (6-3). Marisa Schmidt/Daianne Hayashida finished out their doubles match at No. 2 with a 6-3 win as well, topping Gallardo/Milic. On court three, Barbora Pokorna/Pia Kranholdt battled hard, but lost to Galindo/Pareja (6-2).
Iowa kept the points coming in singles competition with wins on courts four, three, and six. Mehra led things off on court four with a straight set win over Tara Milic (6-2, 6-1). On court three, Hayashida followed suit with another straight set victory, defeating Carmen Gallardo (6-3, 6-3). To secure the match, Kranholdt beat Juana Larranga (6-4, 6-4) on court six. Schmidt, Mannix, and Pokorna’s matches went unfinished after Iowa clinched the match.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“It was a good solid team win today. Purdue is a great team; they have had a good season and have had some quality wins. We know they are a confident team and I was really happy with our ability to win the doubles point, which was something that we really worked hard on in practice this week. It was nice to be able to go into singles with the lead. But with that being said, singles is always tough so it felt like we competed hard on all six courts. It was a good team effort against a quality opponent. Now we have to regroup and get ready for Indiana.”
The Hawkeyes return to action on Sunday against Indiana. Action will start at 11 a.m. (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreational Complex. Admission is free to the public.
#57 Iowa 4, #47 Purdue 0
1. Marisa Schmidt (UI) vs. Liz Norman (PUR): 7-5, 4-5 unfinished
2. Samantha Mannix (UI) vs. Csilla Fodor (PUR): 6-7(3), 3-3 unfinished
3. Daianne Hayashida (UI) def. Carmen Gallardo (PUR): 6-3, 6-3
4. Vipasha Mehra (UI) def. Tara Milic (PUR): 6-2, 6-1
5. Barbora Pokorna (UI) vs. Kennedy Gibbs (PUR): 6-2, 4-6, 3-1 unfinished
6. Pia Kranholdt (UI) def. Juana Larranaga (PUR): 6-4, 6-4
1. Mannix/Mehra (UI) def. Fodor/Norman (PUR): 6-3
2. Schmidt/Hayashida (UI) def. Gallardo/Milic (PUR): 6-3
3. Galindo/Pareja (PUR) def. Pokorna/Kranholdt (UI): 6-2
Order of Finish: Singles (4,3,6); Doubles (3,2,1)