COLUMBUS, Ohio — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team, ranked No. 58 nationally, was defeated by eighth-ranked Ohio State, 4-0, on Sunday at the Ty Tucker Tennis Center.
The Hawkeyes (9-8, 4-3) dropped the doubles point on courts one and two. On court one, Sam Mannix/Vipasha Mehra lost their match to Allen/Willson (6-3). Marisa Schmidt/Daianne Hayashida fell to Boulais/Bereznyak on court two (6-1). Barbora Pokorna/Pia Kranholdt were leading Jones/Cantos Siemers on court three, 5-2, but their match went unfinished once doubles was clinched.
The Buckeyes swept singles competition with straight set wins on courts one, four, and five. On court one, Mannix was defeated by No. 21 Cantos Siemers (6-2, 6-3). On court four, Mehra fell to No. 98 Bereznyak (6-0, 6-2). The final point was captured on court five when Pokorna lost to Willson (6-3, 6-4). Schmidt, Hayashida and Kranholdt were trailing in their matches, but they went unfinished.
The Hawkeyes will play their final two home matches of the season next weekend. Iowa will face Rutgers on Friday (5 p.m. CT) and Maryland on Sunday (10 a.m. CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreational Complex. Admission is free to the public.
#8 Ohio State 4, #58 Iowa 0
1. #21 Irina Cantos (OSU) def. Samantha Mannix (UI): 6-2, 6-3
2. Sydni Ratliff (OSU) vs. Marisa Schmidt (UI): 4-6, 3-2 unfinished
3. Lucia Marzal (OSU) vs. Daianne Hayashida (UI): 6-2, 3-3 unfinished
4. #98 Shelly Bereznyak (OSU) def. Vipasha Mehra (UI): 6-0, 6-2
5. Danielle Willson (OSU) def. Barbora Pokorna (UI): 6-3, 6-4
6. Kolie Allen (OSU) vs. Pia Kranholdt (UI): 6-2, 5-4 unfinished
1. Willson/Allen (OSU) def. Mannix/Mehra (UI): 6-3
2. Boulais/Bereznyak (OSU) def. Schmidt/Hayashida (UI): 6-1
3. Pokorna/Kranholdt (UI) vs. Cantos/Ratliff (OSU): 5-2 unfinished
Order of Finish: Singles (4,1,5); Doubles (2,1)