CHAMPAIGN, Illinois – The No. 53 University of Iowa women’s tennis team upset 31st-ranked Illinois, 4-1, in its regular season finale on Sunday at the Atkins Tennis Center.
The Hawkeyes (12-9, 7-4) finished the regular season tied for fifth place in the conference standings, marking the second time in three seasons that Iowa has placed fifth or better (fourth in 2021).
Iowa notched the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. Vipasha Mehra/Anya Lamoreaux secured a 6-3 win over Frazier/Yeah on court two. On court three, Barbora Pokorna/Pia Kranholdt helped to finish doubles competition, putting the visitors in the lead winning against Ferrari/Martinez, 6-4. Samantha Mannix/Marisa Schmidt’s match on court one went unfinished.
Iowa carried the winning streak into the singles competition. Daianne Hayashida led things off on court three with a straight-set win over Josie Frazier (6-2, 6-0). On court five, Mehra followed in dominating fashion over Kida Ferrari (6-3, 6-2). With Iowa leading 3-0, Schmidt fell short on court two against Megan Hueser (6-4, 7-6).
On court one, Mannix clinched the match bouncing 81st-ranked Ashley Yeah. After losing the second set, the Hawkeye senior finished strong to earn the point and the win for Iowa (6-2, 4-6, 6-3).
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“I am really proud of the team in a hard-fought road victory at Illinois today to finish regular season conference play and get four points against Illinois. It was a full team effort with some good energy in doubles, then was really competitive in singles. We are excited to transition to postseason play and head to West Lafayette for the Big Ten Tournament. We hope we can continue to capitalize on good momentum and confidence.”
Iowa will open Big Ten Tournament play on Thursday in West Lafayette, Indiana. The sixth-seeded Hawkeyes will face 11th-seeded Indiana at 6 p.m. (ET). The match will be available to watch on Big Ten Plus.
#53 Iowa 4, #31 Illinois 1
1. Samantha Mannix (UI) def. #81 Ashley Yeah (ILL): 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
2. Megan Heuser (ILL) def. Marisa Schmidt (UI): 6-4, 7-6(3)
3. Daianne Hayashida (UI) def. Josie Frazier (ILL): 6-2, 6-0
4. Kasia Treiber (ILL) vs. Barbora Pokorna (UI): 6-1, 6-7(2), 3-5 unfinished
5. Vipasha Mehra (UI) def. Kida Ferrari (ILL): 6-3, 6-2
6. Pia Kranholdt (UI) vs. Violeta Martinez (ILL): 6-4, 6-7(4), 1-1 unfinished
1. Hueser/Casati (ILL) vs. Mannix/Schmidt (UI): 5-4 unfinished
2. Mehra/Lamoreaux (UI) def. Frazier/Yeah (ILL): 6-3
3. Pokorna/Kranholdt (UI) def. Ferrari/Martinez (ILL): 6-4
Order of Finish: Singles (3,5,2,1); Doubles (2,3)