WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana — The 45th-ranked University of Iowa women’s tennis team bounced No. 68 Indiana, 4-1, in their opening match of the Big Ten Championships at the Schwartz Tennis Center.
The Hawkeyes have won four of their last five matches and posted their seventh win of the season over a ranked opponent.
Iowa notched the doubles point with 7-5 wins on courts one and two. Samantha Mannix/Marisa Schmidt beat Nihilani/Hu on court one and Vipasha Mehra/Anya Lamoreaux topped Schneider/Teodoscue on court two. Barbora Pokorna/Pia Kranholdt fell to Staiculescu/Mejic on court three (6-4).
Iowa finished it off in singles competition with wins on courts four, five and six. Kranholdt (6-3, 6-2) and Pokorna (6-4, 6-3) both notched straight-set victories on courts six and four, respectively. On court five, Mehra clinched the match, registering a three-set triumph over Alex Staiculescu (4-6, 6-4, 6-0). Mannix fell to Lara Schneider on court one (6-3, 6-1), while Schmidt and Daianne Hayashida’s respective matches went unfinished.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“It was another hard-fought battle. I am extremely proud of the team for being able to get four points tonight against a very competitive Indiana team. We had to deal with changing surfaces midway through our match and finish inside, so we had some other elements that were unique to this match. I’m proud of the team for staying focused and competing hard.”
Iowa moves on to the quarterfinals to face third-seeded and 36th-ranked Illinois. Action will start at 6 p.m. (ET) on Friday.
#45 Iowa 4, #68 Indiana 1
1. Lara Schneider (IU) def. Samantha Mannix (UI): 6-3, 6-1
2. Marisa Schmidt (UI) vs. Saby Nihalani (IU): 6-4, 1-6, 2-2 unfinished
3. Daianne Hayashida (UI) vs. Mila Mejic (IU): 6-3, 3-6, 5-4 unfinished
4. Barbora Pokorna (UI) def. Nicole Teodosescu (IU) : 6-4, 6-3
5. Vipasha Mehra (UI) def. Alex Staiculescu (IU): 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
6. Pia Kranholdt (UI) def. Rose Hu (IU): 6-3, 6-2
1. Mannix/Schmidt (UI) def. Nihilani/Hu (IU): 7-5
2. Mehra/Lamoreaux (UI) def. Schneider/Teodoscue (IU): 7-5
3. Staiculescu/Mejic def. Pokorna/Kranholdt (UI): 6-4
Order of Finish: Singles (1,6,4,5); Doubles (3,1,2)