CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Freshman Dionne van Aalsum’s two goals in her career debut led the seventh-ranked University of Iowa field hockey team to a 4-0 victory over No. 12 Wake Forest on Friday night in a neutral site ACC/Big Ten Challenge matchup at Karen Shelton Stadium.
“Fantastic start for this team,” said head coach Lisa Cellucci. “We got off to a fast start and were able to build momentum in each quarter. We grew in monumental ways today. Could not be prouder of the grit and resilience shown.”
The Hawkeyes scored the game’s first goal in the 11th minute when van Aalsum found the back of the cage.
Freshman Miranda Jackson extended the Hawkeyes lead, recording her first career goal in the 42nd minute, unassisted.
van Aalsum scored her second goal of the game in the 50th minute, unassisted. Less than two minutes later, fifth-year senior Sofie Stribos took advantage of a penalty corner in the 52nd minute off an assist by junior Lieve Schalk and junior Jacey Wittle to close out the game.
Iowa’s defense held the Demon Deacons to four shots and just one shot on goal.
– Dionne van Aalsum recorded her first multi-goal game in her career debut.
– Miranda Jackson scored her first career goal in her first game as a Hawkeye.
– Senior Sammy Freeman and Freshmen Lieve van Kessel, Gia Whalen, van Aalsum, and Lauren DeRose made their first career starts in the victory.
– Iowa has defeated Wake Forest for the third consecutive year in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
– The Hawkeyes have won six straight season openers.
The Hawkeyes return to action Sunday, facing top ranked North Carolina at noon (CT) in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. The No. 1 Tar Heels face No. 4 Michigan tonight in their season opener.