Minneapolis, MN – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team competed in its first day of competition at the 2008 Gopher Invitational, hosted by the University of Minnesota. Combining singles and doubles, the Hawkeyes posted a 6-8 record today.
Sophomore Alexis Dorr defeated LSU’s Hannah Robinson 6-3, 6-2 to move on to the second round Friday. She continued her winning streak by defeating Madeleine Geiberg of Nebraska 6-2, 6-2 to move onto Saturday’s competition. She will face Mykala Hedberg of LSU at 11 a.m. tomorrow.
In doubles, Klockenga/Young defeated Karonis/Macedo of Iowa State 9-8 (5). They move into Saturday’s competition, facing Sperling/Wiecha of Minnesota.
“It was a solid first day for us,” said Hawkeye Head Coach Daryl Greenan. “We had several close matches and I think a good first day was highlighted by Alexis’ win over the number one freshman from Nebraska.”
Tomorrow will mark day two of competition at the Gopher Invite. Competition will begin at 9:15 a.m. at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis, MN.
1. Maria Fernanda Macedo (Iowa State) def. Jennifer Barnes (Iowa) 6-2, 7-5
2. Christine Abayan (Air Force) def. Jennifer Barnes (Iowa) 6-2, 6-1
3. Allison Majercik (Iowa) def. Marcela Rivero (E. Mich) 6-3, 6-2
4.Nicole Smith (LSU) def. Allison Majercik (Iowa) 2-6, 6-3 (11-9)
5. Whitney Wolf (LSU) def. Merel Beelen (Iowa) 6-1, 6-1
6. Erin Karonis (Iowa State) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) 7-6, 7-5
7. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. Karina Ahuja (E. Mich.) 6-1, 6-3
8. Wiveca Swarting (Nebraska) def. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) 7-5, 6-2
9. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) def. Hannah Robinson 6-3, 6-2
10. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) def. Madeleine Geiberg (Nebraska) 5-7, 6-0, (10-8)
1. Falcon/Hedberg (LSU) def. Beelen/Majercik (Iowa) 8-3
2. Klockenga/Young (Iowa) def. Karonis.Macedo (Iowa State) 9-8 (5)
3. Frank-Gaard (Gustavus) def. Poggensee-Wei/Dorr (Iowa) 8-5