Jan. 31, 2009
Waco ,TX –
The Iowa women’s tennis team fell to Virginia Tech on the road in Waco, TX Saturday. Final team scores were Virginia Tech 7 and Iowa 0.
Iowa’s doubles duos of Kelcie Klockenga/Ally Majercik and Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Jessica Young were defeated 8-3 and 8-2 respectively to open the meet. Hawkeye pair Sonja Molnar and Alexis Dorr did not finish their doubles match at the No. one position due to tournament rules.
With Virginia Tech up 1-0 after doubles play, the Hawkeyes could not find their momentum. Iowa dropped each match against the Hokies. Alexis Dorr played in a tough match against Jessica Brouwer going 6-3, 7-5, while freshman Sonja Molnar competed in a rough dual against Inga Beermann who is currently ranked No. 125, falling 6-1, 6-3.
The Hokies came into the tournament with three active seniors in comparison to the Hawkeyes who had no active seniors on the courts Saturday.
“It was disappointing to lose 7-0, it was really a much closer match than that, but in the end VT’s maturity was a factor, and it turned out to be a rough match for our young team,” said Hawkeye Head Coach Daryl Greenan. “We will chalk it up as a lesson learned for our team and I hope we compete a little better tomorrow against Princeton.”
In other tournament news, the Baylor Bears pounced Princeton in the second meet of the day 5 to 0. The Hawkeyes will now face Princeton tomorrow at 1 p.m. at the Baylor Tennis Center in the consolation meet.
1. #125 Inga Beermann (VT) def. Sonja Molnar (IOWA) 6-1, 6-3
2. Jessica Brouwer (VT) def. Alexis Dorr (IOWA) 6-3, 7-5
3. Martha Blakely (VT) def. Jessica Young (IOWA) 6-0, 6-0
4. Yasmin Hamza (VT) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) 6-2, 6-3
5. Holly Johnson (VT) def. Kelcie Klockenga (IOWA) 6-4, 6-1
6. Courtney Rauscher (VT) def. Ally Majercik (IOWA) 6-3, 6-3
1. Sonja Molnar/Alexis Dorr (IOWA) vs. Jessica Brouwer/Holly Johnson (VT) 3-6, unfinished
2. Inga Beermann/Martha Blakely (VT) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Jessica Young (IOWA) 8-2
3. Yasmin Hamza/Abbey Walker (VT) def. Kelcie Klockenga/Ally Majercik (IOWA) 8-3
Iowa 2-1; National ranking #50
Virginia Tech 3-0; National ranking #61
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,4,2,1,6,5)