Feb. 7, 2009
MILWAUKEE, WI –
The Iowa women’s tennis team defeated No. 43 Louisville Saturday 4-3 in Milwaukee, WI. This comes as the first win over a ranked opponent this season for the Hawkeyes.
“Sonja and Alexis picked up a big win at No. 1 doubles which helped us carry momentum into the singles after losing the doubles point,” said Hawkeye Head Coach Daryl Greenan.
Molnar tied the team score up quickly with a win at the No. 1 singles spot, dominating the court and defeating Louisville’s Lyndsey Jones 6-0, 6-1. Iowa was up 2-1 after a win by Kelcie Klockenga at No. 5 singles against Amelia Harris 7-5, 6-4. After losses at the No. 4 and 6 positions by Jessica Young and Ally Majercik, Iowa fell behind Louisville, 3-2. The Hawkeyes had to win the rest of their matches and did, as Iowa pulled through behind wins from Lynne Poggensee-Wei at the No. 3 position and Alexis Dorr at the No. 2 spot.
“Lynne and Alexis played smart and aggressive down the stretch to clinch the comeback win,” said Greenan.”It was a big win for our team today. It was exciting to pick up our first ranked win of the season but we were even more excited about how we played in both singles and doubles. We played much better than last weekend. We got didn’t just win, we got better today!”
Iowa hits the courts tomorrow against host Marquette at 11 a.m. at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium.
1. Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. Lyndsey Jones (Louisville) 6-0, 6-1
2. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) def. Lauren Imre (Louisville) 6-2, 6-3
3. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. Bianca Gorbea (Louisville) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Natalia Baez (Louisville) def. Jessica Young (Iowa) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
5. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) def. Amelia Harris (Louisville) 7-5, 6-4
6. Sarah Miller (Louisville) def. Ally Majercik (Iowa) 7-6 (5), 6-4
1. Molnar/Dorr (Iowa) def. Gorbea/Baez (Louisville) 8-6
2. Jones Van Aerde (Louisville) def. Poggensee-Wei/Klockenga (Iowa) 8-5
3. Harris/Imre (Louisville) def. Young/Majercik (Iowa) 8-6
University of Iowa 4-2; National ranking No. 62
University of Louisville; National ranking No. 43
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1) Singles (1,5,4,6,3,2)