Feb. 20, 2009
IOWA CITY –
The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to the DePaul Blue Demons Friday in Iowa City 5-2 at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Center.
After two losses at the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles positions, Iowa pulled out a win against DePaul in the No. 2 spot. Lynne Poggensee-Wei and Kelcie Klockenga defeated Dunja Antunovic and Sandra Zmak 8-7.
Iowa headed into the singles competition down 1-0 to the Blue Demons after doubles play. Iowa gained some momentum when freshman Sonja Molnar earned the first singles win at the No. 1 position, defeating Dunja Antunovic 6-3, 6-0.
The Hawkeyes then went on to drop the next three matches. Jessica Young fell at the No. 5 spot 1-6, 4-6, Lynne Poggensee-Wei dropped the match at No. 2 singles 1-6, 2-6 and Kelcie Klockenga was defeated at the No. 4 position 3-6, 4-6. Ally Majercik fought at the No. 6 position, ultimately falling 6-7, 3-6 to bring the team score to 5-1.
The end of the meet brought on a tight battle at the No. 3 position with Alexis Dorr and Sandra Zmak of DePaul. After winning the first match 6-1, Dorr dropped the second 4-6 to push it into a ten-point tiebreaker. Dorr was victorious, winning the tiebreaker 10-5 and bringing the final meet score to 5-2.
Iowa will return to action when they host Kansas Feb. 22 at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Center in Iowa City. Competition is set to begin at 11 a.m. Admission is free.
1. Salkovic/Redicsi (DePaul) def. Molnar/Young (IOWA) 3-8
2. Poggensee-Wei/Klockenga (IOWA) def. Antunovic/Zmak (DePaul) 8-7
3. McKnightGambrell (DePaul) def. Dorr/Majercik (IOWA) 5-8
1. Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Dunja Antunovic (DePaul) 6-3, 6-0
2. Anna Redicsi (DePaul) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) 1-6, 2-6
3. Alexis Dorr (IOWA) def. Sandra Zmak (DePaul) 6-1, 4-6, 10-5
4. Selma Salkovic (DePaul) def. Kelcie Klockenga (IOWA) 3-6, 4-6
5. Gia McKnight (DePaul) def. Jessica Young (IOWA) 1-6, 4-6
6. Katarina Milinkovic (DePaul) def. Ally Majercik (IOWA) 6-7, 3-6
University of Iowa 4-5; National ranking No. 58
DePaul University 8-2, National ranking No. 57
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,5,2,4,6,3)