March 6, 2009
South Bend, IN-
The University of Iowa women’s tennis team (6-6) fell to No. 3 Notre Dame Friday in South Bend, IN, 7-0.
After a loss at the No. 2 doubles position (8-5) by Kelcie Klockenga and Lynne Poggensee-Wei, Iowa grabbed their only doubles win of the meet. No. 1 doubles Sonja Molnar and Jessica Young upset No. 3 nationally ranked duo of Kelcy Tefft and Kali Krisik in a nail biter, 8-7 (7-4). Alexis Dorr and Jennifer Barnes were then defeated at the No. 3 doubles position 8-3.
After losing the doubles point, the Hawkeyes entered singles competition down 1-0 to the Fighting Irish. Iowa’s Alexis Dorr was the first to finish for the Hawkeyes, falling to No. 55 Kristy Frilling 6-1, 6-1. Jennifer Barnes finished next, losing 8-3 at the No. 6 position. Kelcie Klockenga went on to fall 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 4 position, and Lynne Poggensee-Wei was defeated by No. 114 nationally Kristen Rafael 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 3 spot. Iowa’s Jessica Young went on to fall 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 5 position. Sonja Molnar, No. 75 nationally, fought it out with No. 31 nationally Kelcy Tefft in the last match of the meet, ultimately losing 6-4, 7-5.
“Notre Dame was just too much for us today, they are one of the best teams in the country,” said Hawkeye Head Coach Daryl Greenan. “We didn’t get the win but I feel like we did some things well and we got a little bit better today. It was a good experience to play a team at that level and I’d say the effort was highlighted by a huge win in doubles over a No. 3 team in the country with Sonja and Jess beating Kelcy Tefft and Kali Krisik.”
Iowa will return to the courts March 21, traveling to East Lansing, Mi to face Big Ten foe Michigan State. Competition is scheduled to begin at noon.
1. #31 Kelcy Tefft (Notre Dame) def. #75 Sonja Molnar (Iowa) 6-4, 7-5
2. #55 Kristy Frilling (Notre Dame) def. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) 6-1, 6-1
3. #114 Kristen Rafael (Notre Dame) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) 6-1, 6-2
4. Cosmina Ciobanu (Notre Dame) def. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) 6-0, 6-0
5. Shannon Mathews (Notre Dame) def. Jessica Young (Iowa) 6-3, 6-2
6. Kali Krisik (Notre Dame) def. Jennifer Barnes (Iowa) 6-1, 6-1
1. Sonja Molnar/Jessica Young (Iowa) def. #3 Kelcy Tefft/Kali Krisik (Notre Dame) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Kristy Frilling/Cosmina Ciobanu (Notre Dame) def. Kelcie Klockenga/Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) 8-5
3. Shannon Mathews/Colleen Rielley (Notre Dame) def. Alexis Dorr/Jennifer Barnes (Iowa) 8-3
Iowa 6-6; NR
Notre Dame 12-1; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,6,4,3,5,1)