March 22, 2009
Ann Arbor, MI-
The University of Iowa women’s tennis team was defeated by the Michigan Wolverines Sunday 6-1 in Ann Arbor. The loss brings Iowa to a 7-7 overall record and a 2-1 Big Ten conference record this season.
All three Hawkeye pairs were defeated in the doubles competition, allowing for a 1-0 Michigan lead heading into singles play. Lynne Poggensee-Wei was the first Hawkeye to finish, falling 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 3 position to Tania Mahtani. Ally Majercik followed, dropping her match at the No. 6 position, 6-3, 6-2. Kelcie Klockenga was the next to finish, falling 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 4 spot. The highlight of the meet for Iowa came from freshman Sonja Molnar, ranked No. 92 nationally, upsetting Chisako Sugiyama, No. 59 nationally, to grab an Iowa win, 6-2, 6-3. This marks Molnar’s 12th win of the season in singles competition. Jessica Young and Alexis Dorr were both defeated, at the No. 5 and No. 2 spots respectively, after each dropping two close first sets. Young fell 7-6(4), 6-2 while Dorr was defeated by a score of 7-6(7), 6-4.
“Michigan played well today, our girls competed hard and we had some opportunities that slipped by,” said Head Coach Daryl Greenan. “Once again, overall, this was a good weekend and I think we continue to get a little bit better every time we play. Sonja continued her high level play, picking up another win over a highly ranked opponent.”
Iowa will return to the courts March 27 and 29, hosting Big Ten foes No. 35 Ohio State and Penn State. Competitions are set to begin at 3 p.m. on Friday and 11 a.m. Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
1. #31 Mahtani/Sugiyama (Michigan) def. Molnar/Young (Iowa), 8-3
2. Taney/Tatsuno (Michigan) def. Klockenga/Poggensee-Wei (Iowa), 8-7(4)
3. Lindsey Howard/Muresan (Michigan) def. Jennifer Barnes/Dorr (Iowa), 8-0
1. #92 Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. #59 Chisako Sugiyama, 6-2, 6-3
2. #111 Rika Tatsuno (Michigan) def. Alexis Dorr (Iowa), 7-6(7), 6-4
3. Tania Mahtani (Michigan) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa), 6-3, 6-1
4. Whitney Taney (Michigan) def. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa), 6-2, 6-3
5. Denise Muresan (Michigan) def. Jessica Young (Iowa), 7-6(4), 6-2
6. Michelle Sulahian (Michigan) def. Ally Majercik (Iowa), 6-3, 6-2
Iowa 7-7; National ranking 72
Michigan 8-4; National ranking 19
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,6,4,1,5,2)