April 18, 2009
West Lafayette, IN-
The University of Iowa women’s tennis team was defeated by the Purdue Boilermakers in West Lafayette, IN Saturday, 5-2 in the last dual meet of the season. The loss brings the Hawkeyes to 7-14 overall and 2-8 in the Big Ten conference.
After a loss at the No. 2 doubles position by sophomore Alexis Dorr and junior Kelcie Klockenga to Remi Martin and Jennifer Rabot, 8-0, Iowa’s No. 3 doubles pair, freshman Ally Majercik and sophomore Lynne Poggensee-Wei, defeated Tatiana Ganzha and Kay Kay Magi, 8-5. With a split between the first two doubles matches, the point lay on the shoulders of No. 1 doubles duo, freshman Sonja Molnar and sophomore Jessica Young. The Boilermakers clinched the doubles win when the pair lost to Michelle Sammons and Stephanie Wooten, 8-4.
Iowa headed into familiar territory, down 1-0 heading into singles competition. With a loss by Klockenga at the No. 4 position, 6-2, 6-3 to Tatiana Ganzha, Iowa stood at 2-0 against the Boilermakers. Molnar, No. 91 in the NCAA rankings, defeated Michelle Sammons at the No. 1 position 6-2, 6-2 to bring the score to 2-1 in favor of the Boilermakers. Dorr then fell 6-0, 6-4 at the No. 2 position to Stephanie Wooten, while Majercik was defeated by Remi Martin at the No. 6 spot 7-5, 6-2, giving Purdue the lead at 4-1 and the win.
Poggensee-Wei fell to Jennifer Rabot 6-2, 6-2, and Young rounded out the meet with a victory over Anna Dushkina at the No. 5 position in a three-set match, 2-6, 6-3, 6-3.
Iowa will head to competition at the 2009 Big Ten Championships April 23-26. Competition will be held at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium on the Campus of the University of Wisconsin.
1. Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. Michelle Sammons (Purdue) 6-2, 6-2
2. Stephanie Wooten (Purdue) def. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) 6-0, 6-4
3. Jennifer Rabot (Purdue) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) 6-2, 6-2
4. Tatiana Ganzha (Purdue) def. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) 6-2, 6-3
5. Jessica Young (Iowa) def. Anna Dushkina (Purdue) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Remi Martin (Purdue) def. Ally Majercik (Iowa) 7-5, 6-2
1. Sammons/Wooten (Purdue) def. Molnar/Young (Iowa) 8-4
2. Martin/Rabot (Purdue) def. Klockenga/Dorr (Iowa) 8-0
3. Poggensee-Wei/Majercik (Iowa) def. Ganzha/Kay Kay Magi (Purdue) 8-5
Iowa 7-14, 2-8; Not Ranked
Purdue 8-11, 4-5; Not Ranked
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3, 1) Singles (4, 1, 2, 6, 3, 5)