April 23, 2009
The University of Iowa women’s tennis team was defeated by the Wisconsin Badgers in the first round of the Big Ten Championships Thursday, 4-2, concluding their 2009 campaign. Iowa, seeded tenth in the tournament, ends the season 7-15 overall and 2-9 in Big Ten conference play. Wisconsin will head into the second round to face second seed Michigan Friday.
Freshman Sonja Molnar was also named Big Ten Freshman of the Year Thursday. Molnar is only the fourth player in Hawkeye history to have achieved the honor since the sport’s inception at Iowa. Meg Racette was the last Iowa player to earn the award in 2004 under previous head coach Paul Wardlaw. Molnar was also selected to the first team all-Big Ten, joining the twelve Hawkeyes who have earned the award since 1990. Jacqueline Lee and Milica Veselinovic both earned all-Big Ten Team honors in 2008. Freshman Ally Majercik was named as the team’s 2009 Big Ten Sportsmanship Award honoree. Majercik is now a candidate for the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award.
Iowa grabbed their second doubles competition win against a Big Ten opponent Thursday, with Molnar and Lynne Poggensee-Wei winning at the No. 1 position (9-7), while Jessica Young and Kelcie Klockenga saw victory at the No. 2 spot (8-5).
After dropping the first three singles matches, Molnar came out victorious at the No. 1 spot, garnering her 18th win of the season at the position. The Badgers clinched their second-consecutive first round win at the Big Ten Championships with an Iowa loss at the No. 2 position by sophomore Alexis Dorr in a tough three-set match (4-6, 6-2, 6-4).
This match-up marked the final competition for the Hawkeyes in the 2009 spring season.
1. #91 Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. Elizabeth Carpenter (Wisconsin) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
2. Katya Mirnova (Wisconsin) def. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Aleksandra Markovic (Wisconsin) vs. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4), 3-2, unfinished
4. Jessica Seyferth (Wisconsin) def. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) 6-3, 6-3
5. Angela Chupa (Wisconsin) def. Jessica Young (Iowa) 7-5, 7-5
6. Dana Larsen (Wisconsin) def. Allison Majercik (Iowa) 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
1. Sonja Molnar/Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. Elizabeth Carpenter/Jessica Seyferth (Wisconsin) 9-7
2. Jessica Young/Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) def. Emese Kardhordo/Katya Mirnova (Wisconsin) 8-5
3. Angela Chupa/Aleksandra Markovic (Wisconsin) def. Alexis Dorr/Allison Majercik (Iowa) 8-0
Iowa 7-15 (2-9 Big Ten); Not Ranked
Wisconsin 9-14 (4-7 Big Ten); Not Ranked
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,5,6,1,2)
Freshman of the Year:
Sonja Molnar, Iowa
2009 All-Big Ten Team:
Megan Fudge, ILL
Leigh Finnegan, ILL
Sonja Molnar, IOWA*
Chisako Sugiyama, MICH*
Rika Tatsuno, MICH*
Lauren Lui, NU
Maria Mosolova, NU*
Samantha Murray, NU
Georgia Rose, NU*
Kristen Flower, OSU
Michelle Sammons, PUR
Elizabeth Carpenter, WIS