Feb. 13, 2010
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch (2009-10 season)
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
Manhattan, KS – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team ventured down to Manhattan, KS for the first road trip of the Dougherty era Saturday. The trip proved to be successful as the Hawkeyes dominated Kansas State, winning 7-0.
Doubles action kicked off the competition, with Sonja Molnar and Lynne Poggensee-Wei downing Antea Huljev and Petra Chuda, 8-2. Kelcie Klockenga and Jessica Young also recorded a doubles victory over Natasha Vieira and Maryna Chumak, 8-2, to secure the team point.
Alexis Dorr remains perfect this season after she posted a 6-1, 6-1 win over Vieira. Molnar competed against Huljev, recording a 6-1, 6-3 win. Young returned to the singles line-up in the fourth spot, recording her first win of the season over Karla Bonasic, 6-3, 6-2. Klockenga defeated Chuda, 6-2, 6-2. Two Hawkeyes battled tough three set matches. Merel Beelen fell to Ana Gomez Aleman in the first set, 4-6, but battled back to get the win, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3. Poggensee-Wei also secured a third set tie-break victory in her singles match against Nina Sertic, 6-1, 6-7(4), 6-4.
Iowa hits the road again tonight bound for Lawrence, KS where the team faces the Kansas Jayhawks tomorrow. The match is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m.
1. Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. Antea Huljev (Kansas State) 6-1, 6-3
2. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. Nina Sertic (Kansas State) 6-1, 6-7(4), 6-4
3. Merel Beelen (Iowa) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (Kansas State) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Jessica Young (Iowa) def. Karla Bonasic (Kansas State) 6-3, 6-2
5. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) def. Petra Chuda (Kansas State) 6-2, 6-2
6. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) def. Natasha Vieira (Kansas State) 6-1, 6-1
1. Molnar/Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. Huljev/Chuda (Kansas State) 8-2
2. Bonasic/Sertic (Kansas State) def. Beelen/Chmelarova (Iowa) 8-6
3. Klockenga/Young (Iowa) def. Vieira/Chumak (Kansas State) 8-2