Jan. 22, 2011
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa – – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated Northern Iowa Saturday at the Black Hawk Tennis Club, 6-1. The 30th-ranked Hawkeyes moved to 1-0 on the season with the victory.
“UNI competed well on every court today,” said Head Coach Katie Dougherty. “We had to take it from them and play smart aggressive tennis. It was a great start to the season for us. We made great adjustments from last weekend and our focus is now on Georgia Tech Saturday.”
The Hawkeyes won all three doubles matches. At the top spot, junior Sonja Molnar and senior Jessica Young downed Gonzalez/Okicki 8-5. At the No.2 position, freshman Jessica Cohen and senior Alexis Dorr won 8-6 against Kunzelmann/Lankelma. Senior Lynne Poggensee-Wei and freshman Christina Harazin topped Moore/Delagardelle 8-4 in the No. 3 spot.
Iowa recorded a 5-1 mark in singles. At the No. 1 spot, Molnar defeated Laia Gonzalez, 6-7, 6-4 (10-6). Young was victorious at the No. 2 spot, defeating Lara Okicki, 6-1, 6-2. Poggensee-Wei dropped a 6-2, 6-1 decision to Jessica Kunzelmann at the No. 3 position. At the No. 4 spot, Dorr topped Krissy Lankelma, 6-1, 6-4. Cohen defeated Chelsea Moore, 6-3, 6-0 at the No. 5 spot. Harazin rounded out the Iowa lineup, posting a 6-0, 6-0 win over Katy Dellagardelle at the No. 6 spot.
The Black and Gold return to action next Saturday at Georgia Tech in the annual ITA Kickoff Weekend. The match is scheduled to begin at noon (CST).
#30 Iowa – 6
Northern Iowa – 1
1. Molnar/Young (Iowa) def. Gonzalez/Okicki (UNI), 8-5
2. Cohen/Dorr (Iowa) def. Kunzelmann/Lankelma (UNI), 8-6
3. Poggensee-Wei/Harazin (Iowa) def. Moore/Delagardelle (UNI), 8-4
1. Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. Gonzalez (UNI), 6-7, 6-4 (10-6)
2. Jessica Young (Iowa) def. Okicki (UNI), 6-1, 6-2
3. Kunzelmann (UNI) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa), 6-2, 6-1
4. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) def. Lankelma (UNI), 6-1, 6-4
5. Jessica Cohen (Iowa) def. Moore (UNI), 6-3, 6-0
6. Christina Harazin (Iowa) def. Delagardelle (UNI), 6-0, 6-0