Jan. 30, 2011
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
ATLANTA – – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to No. 25 Illinois 5-2 Sunday in the consolation match of the annual ITA Season Kickoff. The 30th ranked Hawkeyes fell to 1-2 on the season with the loss.
“Illinois was tougher than we were today,” said Head Coach Katie Dougherty. “They made us play one more ball and jumped on us in five of the six first sets. We need to improve our doubles and start stronger in singles.”
In doubles, Illinois claimed the point by winning two of the three matches. Junior Sonja Molnar and senior Jessica Young were victorious at the No. 1 position. The duo topped Rachael White and Allison Falkin 9-7 after being behind during the match point. White and Falkin are tabbed as the No. 15 doubles tandem in the country.
In singles, the Black and Gold won two matches. Molnar won a 6-2, 6-1 decision over Breanne Smutko at the No. 1 spot. Senior Lynne Poggensee-Wei, playing in the No. 4 position, topped Amy Allin 1-6, 6-0, 10-5.
The Hawkeyes will return home and host a pair of matches next weekend. Iowa will face Miami (Ohio) on Friday (Feb. 4) at 5:00 p.m. (CST) and Kansas State Sunday (Feb. 6) at 11:00 a.m. (CST). Both matches will be held at the Hawkeye Recreation and Tennis Center.
#25 Illinois (1-3) – 5
#30 Iowa (1-2) – 2
1. Sonja Molnar/Jessica Young (IOWA) def. # 15 Rachael White/Allison Falkin (ILL) – 9-7
2. Chelcie Abajian/Breanne Smutko (ILL) def. Jessica Cohen/Alexis Dorr (IOWA) – 8-5
3. Marisa Lambropoulos/Leigh Finnegan (ILL) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Christina Harazin (IOWA) – 8-6
1. #70 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Breanne Smutko (ILL) – 6-2, 6-1
2. #100 Rachael White (ILL) def. Jessica Young (IOWA) – 6-1, 6-1
3. Chelcie Abajian (ILL) def. Alexis Dorr (IOWA) – 6-2, 3-6, 10-5
4. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) def. Amy Allin (ILL) – 1-6, 6-0, 10-5
5. Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) def. Jessica Cohen (IOWA) – 6-2, 6-1
6. Allison Falkin (ILL) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA) – 6-2, 6-3