April 23, 2011
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
Madison, Wisc. – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to Wisconsin (13-10 overall, 4-5 Big Ten) in a 4-3 battle on the road Saturday afternoon. With the win at Nielsen Tennis Stadium, Wisconsin took control of the sixth seed at the Big Ten Championships. The Hawkeyes own a record of 6-14 overall and 3-6 in conference action.
Wisconsin struck first as it took the doubles point two matches to one. Junior Sonja Molnar and senior Jessica Young, currently ranked 31st in doubles by the ITA, topped Wisconsin’s Nick Stracar and Alaina Trgovich 8-7 (11-9), the closest doubles match of the afternoon. The Iowa duo owns a Big Ten record of 6-3 in doubles.
“We knew it was going to be a battle and put ourselves behind the eight ball with a sloppy doubles point,” said Head Coach Katie Dougherty. “I’m proud of the way we came out in singles, but Wisconsin was able to put one more good ball in play today.”
Iowa and Wisconsin split the singles matches with three apiece. All three of Iowa’s wins came in straight sets. Molnar remained in the No. 1 spot for Iowa as the Guelph, Ontario, native won her match, 6-2, 6-2. She improved to a team-leading conference record of 6-3. Seniors Lynne Poggensee-Wei and Alexis Dorr earned Iowa’s other two points in singles competition. Poggensee-Wei defeated Hannah Berner 6-3, 6-1 in the No. 3 spot as Dorr topped Wisconsin’s Aleksandra Markovic 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 5 position.
The Hawkeyes will finish their road trip and regular season with a match against Minnesota (5-15 overall, 1-7 Big Ten) Sunday afternoon. Competition will be held at Minnesota’s Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis and is scheduled to begin at noon (CT).
1. Sonja Molnar (IA) def. Alaina Trgovich (WIS), 6-2, 6-2
2. Nicky Stracar (WIS) def. Jessica Young (IA), 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
3. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IA) def. Hannah Berner (WIS), 6-3, 6-1
4. Jessica Seyferth (WIS) def. Christina Harazin (IA), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
5. Alexis Dorr (IA) def. Aleksandra Markovic (WIS), 6-3, 6-4
6. Angela Chupa (WIS) def. Cassandra Escobar (IA), 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
1. Sonja Molnar/Jessica Young (IA) def. Nick Stracar/Alaina Trgovich (WIS), 8-7 (11-9)
2. Hannah Berner/Jessica Seyferth (WIS) def. Christina Harazin/Alexis Dorr (IA), 8-5
3. Angela Chupa/Aleksandra Markovic (WIS) def. Ally Majercik/Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IA), 8-4