June 1, 2011
- Order Tickets to Gable’s Gold Retirement Celebration
- USA Olympic Trials – Iowa City, IA
- Hawkeye Olympic & World Team Trials
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Carver-Hawkeye Arena Revitalization
- 2010-11 Iowa Wrestling Media Guide
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The honors continue to roll in for former University of Iowa wrestling coach Dan Gable. Wrestling USA announced this week it has named Gable its 2011 Master-of-Wrestling, an award recognizing years of dedication and leadership through the sport of wrestling.
The national award has been presented to the nation’s best in the sport since 1975. Gable is the second Iowa recipient of the honor. The first was Bob Siddens, who coached Gable at West High School and received the Master-of-Wrestling honor in 1979.
Gable is considered, by most, to be the best collegiate wrestling coach in history. He was Iowa’s head coach for 21 years and compiled a 355-21-5 record that included 15 national and 21 Big Ten team titles.
His wrestling legacy is being honored Saturday at the Coralville Marriot and Convention Center. “Gable’s Gold: A Celebration of Dan Gable’s Legacy” is sold out. Gable is also being honored Friday, Sept. 2, at the third annual FRY Fest, “A Celebration of all that is Hawkeye.” Contact the Iowa City/Coralville Area Convention & Visitors Bureau or visit fryfest.com for more information about the event.