March 28, 2014
Iowa-Michigan Women’s Tennis Highlights
- Read the March issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to 8-7 on the year with a 7-0 loss to the 15th-ranked Michigan Wolverines on Friday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
“Michigan is a strong team and competed well. They were too much for us today,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty.
Michigan took the doubles point after posting victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. Senior Ruth Seaborne and junior Morven McCulloch held a 6-5 lead over the 18th-ranked duo of Emina Bektas and Brooke Bolender at No. 1 doubles before the match was abandoned.
The Wolverines secured the victory with six consecutive victories in singles, including five straight-set wins.
Seaborne went toe-to-toe with Michigan’s Emina Bektas, the No. 9 singles player in the country. After dropping the first set, 3-6, Seaborne took the second set, 6-3, to send the match into a tiebreaker set. Seaborne held a 4-3 lead before dropping the set 7-5, moving her to 9-5 on the year.
“Ruth had a great match with Bektas that was an extremely high level of tennis,” said Dougherty. “She was right in there with the No. 9 player in the country, and played the best tennis she has all spring.”
The Hawkeyes are back in action at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex on Sunday with an 11 a.m. matchup against Michigan State. Sunday is also kid’s day and is being billed as a pink out. There will be free pink t-shirts for all individuals.
“We need to come out strong on Sunday to rebound against a tough Michigan State team,” said Dougherty.
#15 Michigan 7, Iowa 0
1. #9 Emina Bektas (MICH) def. #108 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
2. #22 Ronit Yurovsky (MICH) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 6-2, 6-2
3. #119 Brooke Bolender (MICH) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 6-2, 6-1
4. #123 Sarah Lee (MICH) def. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) 6-3, 6-1
5. Amy Zhu (MICH) def. Aimee Tarun (IOWA) 6-2, 6-3
6. Kristen Dodge (MICH) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA) 6-1, 7-5
Order of Finish: (4, 3, 2, 5, 6, 1)
1. Ruth Seaborne/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) vs. #18 Emina Bektas/Brooke Bolender (MICH) 6-5, unfinished
2. Sarah Lee/Amy Zhu (MICH) def. Annette Dohanics/Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 8-5
3. Laura Ucros/Ronit Yurovsky (MICH) def. Ellen Silver/Katie Zordani (IOWA) 8-2
Order of Finish: (3, 2)