April 6, 2014
- Read the April issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team dropped a conference match at No. 43 Indiana, 4-3, on Sunday on the Indiana University Varsity Tennis Courts. The Hawkeyes fall to 8-10 (1-6) on the year.
The Hawkeyes jumped to an early 1-0 lead by taking two-of-three doubles matches. After Indiana won at No. 2 doubles, Iowa pulled off two-straight victories at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions to earn the doubles point.
In their second time playing together this season, the duo of sophomore Annette Dohanics and junior Katie Zordani gave the Hawkeyes their first doubles victory of the day at the No. 3 slot, improving their record to 2-0. Senior Ruth Seaborne and junior Morven McCulloch teamed up to win the doubles point for the Hawkeyes with an 8-6 victory at the No. 1 position. The tandem picked up their ninth-straight victory on Sunday, moving their overall record to 13-2, and remains undefeated in conference play (6-0).
In singles, the Hoosiers won four-straight matches to give them a 4-1 lead and seal the victory.
Iowa managed to pick up two singles victories at the No. 1 and No. 5 positions to conclude the match. Seaborne (12-5, 5-2) picked up her third-straight victory at No. 1 singles, improving her record to 7-1 in matches away from Iowa City. Zordani moved to 8-6 on the year, positing a straight-set victory at No. 5 singles, 7-5, 6-4.
Iowa travels to the land of Lincoln next week to face a pair of ranked conference opponents. On Saturday, April 12, the Hawkeyes take on No. 34 Illinois (10-6, 3-2) before facing No. 11 Northwestern (11-5, 5-0) on April 13.
No. 43 Indiana 4, Iowa 3
1. Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. Katie Klyczek (IND) 6-3, 6-3
2. Sophie Garre (IND) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 7-5, 6-0
3. Carolyn Chupa (IND) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 6-2, 6-2
4. Alecia Kauss (IND) def. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) 6-4, 6-4
5 Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Paula Gutierrez (IND) 7-5. 6-4
6. Gabrielle Rubenstein (IND) vs. Aimee Tarun (IOWA) 6-3, 6-3
1. Morven McCulloch/Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. Katie Kyczek/Carolyn Chupa (IND) 8-6
2. Shannon Murdy/Sophie Garre (IND) def. Ellen Silver/Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 8-2
3. Annette Dohanics/Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Kayla Fujimoto/Alecia Kauss (IND) 8-7 (8-6)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1) Singles (3,2,6,4,1,5)