April 25, 2014
- Read the April issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
EVANSTON, Ill. — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to first-seeded and 17th-ranked Michigan in the quarterfinal round of the Big Ten Women’s Tennis Tournament on Friday afternoon, 4-1. The match was held at the Vandy Christie Tennis Center on the campus of Northwestern University.
The Wolverines were up 1-0 over the Hawkeyes after securing the doubles point with back-to-back wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. Juniors Shelby Talcott and Katie Zordani led at No. 2 doubles, 5-4, before their match was abandoned.
“Talcott put us on the board early and we had a couple of first set wins with opportunities in second sets,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty.
Iowa was able to even things up at 1-1 with a victory from Talcott at No. 2 singles. Talcott knocked off Michigan’s 22nd-ranked and unanimous first-team All-Big Ten selection Ronit Yurovsky in straight sets, 6-0, 6-4, to register her 12th victory of the season. However, it would be the Hawkeyes only victory of the day as the Wolverines pulled off three consecutive wins to seal the victory.
Junior Morven McCulloch and sophomore Annette Dohanics both took the first set of their matches at No. 3 and No. 5 singles with identical 6-4 wins, and were in the middle of a tiebreaker set before having their matches abandoned.
“Michigan is a very strong team and was better than us today when it really mattered. I’m proud of how we competed throughout the tournament,” said Dougherty.
#17 Michigan 4, Iowa 1
1. #10 Emina Bektas (MICH) def. #89 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. #22 Ronit Yurovsky (MICH) 6-0, 6-4
3. Brooke Bolender (MICH) vs. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 4-6, 6-4, 2-0, unfinished
4. #125 Amy Zhu (MICH) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA) 6-3, 6-4
5. Laura Ucros (MICH) vs. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) 4-6, 6-2, 0-1, unfinished
6. Kristen Dodge (MICH) def. Aimee Tarun (IOWA) 6-3, 7-5
1. #17 Emina Bektas/Brooke Bolender (MICH) def. Ruth Seaborne/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 8-4
2. Shelby Talcott/Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. #80 Ronit Yurovsky/Laura Ucros (MICH) 5-4, unfinished
3. Sarah Lee/Amy Zhu (MICH) def. Annette Dohanics/Ellen Silver (IOWA) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,1,4,6)