April 11, 2015
- Read the April issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone/iPad app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye android app
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois — The 72nd-ranked University of Iowa men’s tennis team (12-7, 4-4) visited Champaign, Illinois, knowing it would have a tough battle on its hands against No. 3 Illinois (20-3, 8-0) Saturday afternoon. The Fighting Illini proved to be too much for the Hawkeyes as it tallied a 6-1 win.
At No. 6 singles, freshman Jake Jacoby registered the only victory of the day for his team, posting a straight set sweep of Blake Bazarnik, 6-4, 6-2. With the victory, Jacoby has now won six of his last seven singles matches.
“It was a nice win by Jake. He continues to improve every match,” said UI head coach Ross Wilson.
Junior Dominic Patrick was topped by No. 43 Tim Kopinski in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2. At the No. 1 singles position Matt Hagan, ranked 112th nationally, looked to notch a point in the win column for Iowa. He faced No. 90 Farris Gosea, who edged out the Hawkeye first-position player in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3.
Lefteris Theodorou, playing at No. 2 singles, faced stiff competition squaring off against No. 18 Jared Hiltzik. Theodorou fell in the first set 6-3, before dropping the second set 6-2. Going into his battle at No. 4 singles, Josh Silverstein had won 13 of his last 15 matches. Silverstein faced yet another ranked opponent in No. 68 Aron Hiltzik, who was able to win the match, 6-4, 6-2.
At the No. 5 singles position, Stieg Martens was beaten by No. 49 Aleks Vukic, 6-3, 6-4.
In doubles, Gosea/Vukic defeated Silverstein and Patrick 8-5. At the No. 2 position Hiltzik/Ross Guignon tallied a win over Theodorou/Martens 8-4. Trailing 7-5, Hagan/Jacoby’s match with Hiltzik/Kopinski was abandoned due to Illinois capturing the doubles point.
Up next for the Hawkeyes a road battle with No. 26 Northwestern in Evanston, Illinois Sunday at noon (CT).
No. 3 Illinois 6, No. 72 Iowa 1
1. No. 90 Farris Gosea (ILL) def. No. 112 Matt Hagan (UI): 6-1, 6-3
2. No. 18 Jared Hiltzik (ILL) def. Lefteris Theodorou (UI): 6-3, 6-2
3. No. 43 Tim Kopinski (ILL) def. Dominic Patrick (UI): 6-2, 6-0
4. No. 68 Aron Hiltzik (ILL) def. Josh Silverstein (UI): 6-4, 6-2
5. No. 49 Aleks Vukic (ILL) def. Stieg Martens (UI): 6-3, 6-4
6. Jake Jacoby (UI) def. Blake Bazarnik (ILL): 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3,1,2,6,5,4
1. Hiltzik/Kopinski (ILL) vs. Hagan/Jacoby (UI): 7-5, abandoned
2. Hiltzik/Guignon (ILL) def. Theodorou/Martens (UI): 8-4
3. Gosea/Vukic (ILL) def. Silverstein/Patrick (UI): 8-5
Order of Finish: 3,2?