April 19, 2015
- Read the April issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone/iPad app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye android app
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The No. 66 University of Iowa men’s tennis team (13-10) hosted both No. 51 Penn State and Chicago State on Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. In its final Big Ten match of the regular season Iowa was beaten 4-2 by the Nittany Lions. The team managed to bounce back in the dual match nightcap, registering a 7-0 win over Chicago State.
With the match 3-0 in Penn State’s favor, No. 117 Matt Hagan looked to put his team back in the match at No. 1 singles. Hagan faced Penn State’s Leonard Stakhovsky, ranked 123rd nationally. The senior took the first set 7-5 before wrapping up the match in the second set, winning 6-3. Lefteris Theodorou made it back-to-back wins for Iowa in a three-set thriller at the No. 2 position. The freshman defeated Alex Fennell in the first set 6-1 before dropping the second set 7-5. With the match tied at a set a piece, Theodorou won the third set 6-3, reducing Penn States lead to 3-2.
“It was special to get a win on ‘Senior Day’ with it being my last home match. We’ve had a pretty good year so far winning four Big Ten matches,” said Hagan.
With a chance to tie the match at 3-3 Josh Silverstein battled Tomas Hanzlik. Silverstein dropped the first set 6-3 before coming back with a 6-2 second set victory. The freshman could not complete the comeback, falling 7-5 in the third set, clinching a 4-2 win for the visitors.
After splitting the first two sets, Dominic Partick’s match with Matt Berry was abandoned due to Penn State clinching the victory.
In doubles, Patrick and Silverstein put their 7-1 record on the line against Barry and Michael Reilly at the No. 2 position. Barry/Reilly earned an 8-5 decision dropping the Hawkeye duo to 7-2 this spring. Down a match Theodorou and Andres Estenssoro set out to put Iowa back in it but were beaten 8-5 by Penn State’s Aws Laaribi and Christian Lutschaunig.
Trailing 7-5, Hagan and Jake Jacoby’s match against Stakovsky and Fennell was abandoned due to Penn State winning the double point.
Estenssoro and Jacoby were both beaten in straight sets at No. 6 and No. 5 singles, respectively. The win improves Penn State to 5-6 in Big Ten competition, while the Hawkeyes fell to 4-7 in league play.
Against Chicago State, Iowa rolled the Cougars in the doubles portion winning all three matches. Hagan and Nils Hallestrand teamed up at No. 2 doubles and won 8-2. Patrick/Jacoby also won by the score of 8-2 at No. 3, while Theodorou/Estenssoro were victorious at No. 1 by the score of 8-5.
In singles, Hallestrand playing at the No. 5 position picked up a victory in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1. Patrick defeated Mario Noboa, 6-3, 6-0. Jacoby earned a straight set win over Rashley Yeremia 6-2, 6-2.
Silverstein, Estenssoro and Theodorou all cruised to victories in their matches to help to give the Hawkeyes a 7-0 sweep over Chicago State.
Up Next for the Hawkeyes is the Big Ten Tournament in Champaign, Illinois, beginning Thursday.
No. 51 Penn State 4, No. 66 Iowa 2
1. No. 117 Matt Hagan (UI) def. No. 123 Leonard Stakhovsky (PSU): 7-6, 6-3
2. Lefteris Theodorou (UI) def. Alex Fennell (PSU): 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
3. Dominic Patrick (UI) vs. Matt Berry (PSU): 5-7, 7-5 2-4 abandoned
4. Tomas Hanzlik (PSU) def. Josh Silverstein (UI): 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
5. Aws Laaribi (PSU) def. Jake Jacoby (UI): 6-4, 6-2
6. Roman Trkulja (PSU) def. Andres Estenssoro (UI): 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6,5,1,2,4
1. Hagan/Jacoby (UI) vs. Stakhovsky/Fennell (PSU): 8-5
2. Barry/Reilly (PSU) def. Patrick/Silverstein (PSU): 8-5
3. Laaribi/Lutschaunig (PSU) def. Theodorou/Estenssoro (UI): 8-5
Order of Finish: 2,3
No. 66 Iowa 7, Chicago State 0
1. Lefteris Theodorou (UI) def. Sergiu Muresan (CSU): 6-4, 7-6
2. Dominic Patrick (UI) def. Mario Noboa (CSU): 6-3, 6-0
3. Jake Jacoby (UI) def. Rashley Yeremia (CSU): 6-2, 6-2
4. Josh Silverstein (UI) def. Rohan Wattley (CSU): 6-1, 6-2
5. Nils Hallestrand (UI) def. Luis Ulloa (CSU): 6-2, 6-1
6. Andres Estenssoro (UI) def. Julian Chavez (CSU): 6-0, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5,2,6,4,3,1
1. Theodorou/Estenssoro (UI) def. Muresan/Noboa (CSU): 8-5
2. Hagan/Hallestrand (UI) def. Chavez/Yeremia (CSU): 8-2
3. Patrick/Jacoby (UI) def. Gonzalez/Wattley (CSU): 8-2
Order of Finish:2,3,1?