Feb. 13, 2016
- Read the February issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, IA — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated the University of Missouri-Kansas City, 4-0 in the morning match of Iowa’s Saturday doubleheader at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The Hawkeyes then took on Illinois State in the evening, winning 4-0.
Iowa started the day by clinching the doubles point against UMKC. Adorabol Huckleby and Anastasia Reimchen were the first doubles duo to win, defeating UMKC’s Mariam Kurabediani and Allie Schulte, 6-1. Zoe Douglas and Annette Dohanics followed up with a 6-2 win to lock up the point.
All six Hawkeyes won the first set of singles matches against UMKC. Adorabol Huckleby was the first Hawkeye to clinch a singles win against Allie Schulte, 6-1, 6-0. Aimee Tarun defeated Mariam Kurasbediani, 6-2, 6-0. Anastasia Reimchen followed up with the third singles win for Iowa against Melinda Johnson, 6-1, 6-2, to conclude the match against UMKC.
“We had some fast starts against UMKC, which really helped us put a stamp on that victory.” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty.
The evening match against Illinois State kicked off with another doubles point for Iowa. Annette Dohanics and Zoe Douglas defeated Marcia Tere-Apisah and Kadi Ilves of Illinois State, 6-1 at the No. 1 spot. Natalie Looney and Aimee Tarun knocked off Veronika Golanova and Jana Kustkova, 6-1 to win the second doubles match against the Redbirds.
Iowa picked up three singles wins to follow the doubles point. Aimee Tarun was the first Hawkeye in with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Illinois State’s Valerija Gercar. Adorabol Huckleby and Zoe Douglas followed suit, winning 6-2, 6-4 and 7-5, 6-3, respectively.
“We had some tight doubles matches against Illinois State, they gave us a great push, probably the best we’ve had all season,” said Dougherty. “For us to get all six of those first sets says a lot about our team. It was a long day for us and they were able to dial in and be ready to go. I am really pleased with the effort and the competing.”
The Hawkeyes travel to Norman, Oklahoma next Saturday, Feb. 20 to face Oregon at 10:30 a.m. (CT.)
IOWA 4, UMKC 0
1. Anastasia Reimchen (Iowa) def. Melinda Johnson (UMKC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Kristen Thoms (Iowa) led. Dimitra Stavianakou (UMKC) 6-4 (Abd.)
3. Zoe Douglas (Iowa) led. Maria Albert (UMKC) 6-4, 4-1 (Abd.)
4. Aimee Tarun (Iowa) def. Mariam Kurasbediani (UMKC) 6-2, 6-0
5. Adorabol Huckleby (Iowa) def. Allie Schulte (UMKC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Taylor Tamblyn (Iowa) led. Linda Ammar Mouhoub (UMKC) 6-2, 4-2 (Abd.)
Order of finish: (5, 4, 1)
1. Douglas/Dohanics (Iowa) def. Johnson/Stavianakou (UMKC) 6-2
2. Looney/Tarun (Iowa) led. Ammar Mouhoub/Albert (UMKC) 5-3 (Abd.)
3. Huckleby/Reimchen (Iowa) def. Kurasbediani/Schulte (UMKC) 6-1
Order of finish: (3, 1, 2)
IOWA 4, Illinois State 0
1. Anastasia Reimchen (Iowa) led. Marcia Tere-Apisah (Illinois State) 7-5, 2-3 (Abd.)
2. Annette Dohanics (Iowa) led. Veronika Golanova (Illinois State) 7-6, 2-1 (Abd.)
3. Zoe Douglas (Iowa) def. Jana Kustkova (Illinois State) 7-5, 6-3
4. Natalie Looney (Iowa) led. Kadi Ilves (Illinois State) 6-3, 2-5 (Abd.)
5. Aimee Tarun (Iowa) def. Valerija Gercar (Illinois State) 6-1, 6-2
6. Adorabol Huckleby (Iowa) def. Catherine Shulman (Illinois State) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: (5, 6, 3)
1. Douglas/Dohanics (Iowa) def. Tere-Apisah/Ilves (Illinois State) 6-2
2. Looney/Tarun (Iowa) def. Golanova/Kustkova (Illinois State) 6-4
3. Huckleby/Reimchen (Iowa) tied. Paulson/Shulman (Illinois State) 5-5 (Abd.)
Order of finish: (1, 2, 3)