Feb. 20, 2016
- Read the February issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
NORMAN, Okla. – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to the University of Oregon, 4-1, in Saturday’s match. Oregon is ranked No. 46 in the latest ITA women’s tennis poll and is the first team the Hawkeyes have faced this season ranked in the top 50.
Doubles matches kicked off with Zoe Douglas and Annette Dohanics falling to the Oregon doubles combination of Kennan Johnson and Shweta Sangwan, 6-4. In the No. 3 doubles spot, Natalie Looney and Aimee Tarun fell to Marlou Kluiving and Christi Woodson of Oregon, 7-6 (8). Doubles duo of Kristen Thoms and Anastasia Reimchen’s match was at 6-6 before being abandoned.
In singles matches, Aimee Tarun defeated Marlou Kluiving of Oregon at the No. 6 position. Anastasia Reimchen, Annette Dohanics, and Kristen Thoms lost singles matches against the Ducks. Zoe Douglas and Natalie Looney‘s matches were unfinished at the No. 4 and 5 spots, respectively.
“Doubles was incredibly close and hard fought with a lot of momentum swings,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “We competed well today and came up short on a couple of courts. We have a quick turnaround and great opportunity tomorrow against a strong Oklahoma team.”
The Hawkeyes face No. 53 ranked Oklahoma Sunday at 11 a.m. (CT), in the Headington Family Tennis Center at the University of Oklahoma.
IOWA 1, Oregon 4
1. Kennan Johnson (Oregon) def. Anastasia Reimchen (Iowa) 6-3, 6-4
2. Nia Rose (Oregon) def. Annette Dohanics (Iowa) 7-6 (4), 6-1
3. Alyssa Tobita (Oregon) def. Kristen Thoms (Iowa) 6-2, 6-2
4. Zoe Douglas (Iowa) vs. Shweta Sangwan (Oregon) Unfinished 3-6, 6-4
5. Natalie Looney (Iowa) vs. Christi Woodson (Oregon) Unfinished 6-4, 2-6, 1-1
6. Aimee Tarun (Iowa) def. Marlou Kluiving (Oregon) 5-2
1. Johnson/Sangwan (Oregon) def. Douglas/Dohanics (Iowa) 6-4
2. Thoms/Reimchen (Iowa) vs. Rose/Tobita (Oregon) 6-6 (Abd.)
3. Kluiving/Woodson (Oregon) def. Looney/Tarun (Iowa) 7-6 (8)