- Read the February issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, IA — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated the University of Northern Iowa, 7-0, during Friday afternoon’s match at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex in Iowa City, Iowa. The Hawkeyes extended their record to 7-2 overall, and 7-0 at home.
Iowa clinched the doubles point to start the afternoon match. Anastasia Reimchen and Kristen Thoms were the first doubles combination to solidify a win, defeating Northern Iowa’s Stroobant and Lopez at the No. 1 spot, 6-1. Natalie Looney and Aimee Tarun followed up with a win over Santos and Wolfe, 6-4, to get the doubles point. Annette Dohanics and Adorabol Huckleby led their doubles match, 5-4, before being abandoned.
“We started a little slow in doubles, two teams were able to lock it up” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “We played really well in singles, had fast starts and picked up all the first sets and took it from there. I am pleased with how we rebounded from last weekend, we competed well.”
The Hawkeyes won all six matches in the first set of singles. Aimee Tarun was the first Hawkeye to defeat Northern Iowa in singles, she won, 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 4 spot. Annette Dohanics followed with another singles victory against UNI’s Astrid Santos, 6-2, 6-0. Freshmen Adorabol Huckleby and Taylor Tamblyn both won singles matches, 6-0, 6-2 at the No. 5 and 6 spots, respectively. Anastasia Reimchen won her singles match at the No. 1 position, 6-4, 6-1. Kristen Thoms was the last Hawkeye to finish singles play; Thoms defeated Elvira Lopez, 6-2, 7-5 to sweep the Panthers, 7-0.
“It’s amazing to be 7-0 at home,” said sophomore Anastasia Reimchen. “It’s what we have been aiming for, we had a great comeback today after last weekend.”
“We have another good opportunity at home tomorrow,” said Dougherty. “Bradley has had a lot of success; I’m looking forward to a good battle.”
The Hawkeyes return to the court tomorrow afternoon to host Bradley University, 1 p.m. (CT).
IOWA 7, Northern Iowa 0
1. Anastasia Reimchen (Iowa) def. Jieke Stroobant (UNI) 6-4, 6-1
2. Kristen Thoms (Iowa) def. Elvira Lopez (UNI) 6-2, 7-5
3. Annette Dohanics (Iowa) def. Astrid Santos (UNI) 6-2, 6-0
4. Aimee Tarun (Iowa) def. Sydney Wolfe (UNI) 6-0, 6-0
5. Adorabol Huckleby (Iowa) def. Eve Small (UNI) 6-0, 6-2
6. Taylor Tamblyn (Iowa) def. Savanna Hunt (UNI) 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish (4, 3, 5, 6, 1, 2)
1. Reimchen/Thoms (Iowa) def. Stroobant/Lopez (UNI) 6-1
2. Looney/Tarun (Iowa) def. Santos/Wolfe (UNI) 6-4
3. Dohanics/Huckleby (Iowa) led. Small/Hunt (UNI) 5-4 (Abd.)
Order of Finish (1, 2, 3)