March 2, 2016
- Read the February issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
LINCOLN, Nebraska – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to the No. 69 nationally ranked University of Nebraska-Lincoln Huskers, 5-2, during Wednesday’s matchup between the two teams at the Dillon Tennis Center in Lincoln, Nebraska.
The Hawkeyes were unable to clinch the doubles point to start the match. Natalie Looney and Aimee Tarun defeated Katerina Matysova and Paula Del Cueto Cas, 6-3, on the No. 3 court, for Iowa’s only doubles win of the afternoon. Maggy Lehmicke and Lisa Andersson of Nebraska defeated Anastasia Reimchen and Kristen Thoms at the No. 1 doubles spot, 6-4. Mary Hanna and Vasanti Shinde defeated Annette Dohanics and Zoe Douglas, 6-0 at the No. 2 doubles spot.
“We put ourselves in a position to win the doubles point and didn’t capitalize,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “Similar story with a number of sets in singles and Nebraska is an experienced team that did a good job of winning deuce games and closing out sets.”
Anastasia Reimchen fell to Maggy Lehmicke in the No. 1 singles spot, 7-6, 6-1. Mary Hanna defeated Kristen Thoms, 6-2, 6-4. Senior Annette Dohanics fell to Vasanti Shinde of Nebraska, 6-3, 6-3. Katerina Matysova defeated Natalie Looney, 6-0, 6-1 at the No. 5 singles spot.
“We have a quick turnaround,” said Dougherty. “We’re back on the road versus two good teams this weekend and will put this behind us quickly and be ready to go.”
The Hawkeyes return to action Saturday in Chicago, Illinois as they meet the University of Illinois-Chicago on the court at 10 a.m. (CT).
IOWA 2, Nebraska 5
1. Maggy Lehmicke (Nebraska) def. Anastasia Reimchen (Iowa) 7-6, 6-1
2. Mary Hanna (Nebraska) def. Kristen Thoms (Iowa) 6-2, 6-4
3. Zoe Douglas (Iowa) def. Lisa Andersson (Nebraska) 6-7, 6-3, 10-5
4. Vasanti Shinde (Nebraska) def. Annette Dohanics (Iowa) 6-3, 6-3
5. Katerina Matysova (Nebraska) def. Natalie Looney (Iowa) 6-0, 6-1
6. Aimee Tarun (Iowa) def. Paula Del Cueto Cas (Nebraska) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish (6, 5, 2, 4, 1, 3)
1. Lehmicke/Andersson (Nebraska) def. Reimchen/Thoms (Iowa) 6-4
2. Hanna/Shinde (Nebraska) def. Dohanics/Douglas (Iowa) 6-0
3. Looney/Tarun (Iowa) def. Matysova/Del Cueto Cas (Nebraska) 6-3
Order of Finish (2, 3, 1)