March 20, 2016
- Read the March issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone/iPad app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team dropped a close match in a three hour battle with the Maryland Terrapins, 4-3, Sunday, inside the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex (HTRC).
The Hawkeyes got down early after dropping the doubles point to the Terrapins.
“Maryland is a strong and experienced team and they played well today,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty.
“We still have work to do in doubles, but I’m proud of the effort and grit we showed out there today.”
In singles, Iowa saw four matches go to three sets as the Hawkeyes battled back for what would have been their first Big Ten win of the season.
Sophomore Anastasia Reimchen stepped off of court one with a, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, win over Alexandra Stanova.
“Anastasia is playing great tennis right now. She’s been stepping up as a leader and embracing her role at one singles,” said Dougherty.
“She has made huge improvements to her game over the past year.”
“Annette got back on track today and showed the gritty player she’s been over her four years with us,” said Dougherty.
After losing her first set, 6-3, freshman Adorabol Huckleby fought back with a, 7-6(4), second set win. The Detroit native lost the match at No. 5 to Cassandre Thebault.
“We took a step forward today as a team. The result wasn’t what we wanted but the women competed the best they have all spring in singles,” said Dougherty.
The Hawkeyes are back at home, Friday, for a 5:00 p.m. match up against Wisconsin inside the HTRC. Admission is free to the public.
MARYLAND 4, IOWA 3
1. Anastasia Reimchen (UI) def. Alexandra Stanova (MD): 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Arnelle Sullivan (MD) def. Zoe Douglas (UI): 6-3, 6-3
3. Kristen Thoms (UI) def. Nataliya Bredikhina (MD): 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
4. Annette Dohanics (UI) def. Kristina Hovsepyan (MD): 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Cassandre Thebault (MD) def. Adorabol Huckleby (UI): 6-3, 7-6(4), 6-0
6. Ekaterina Tour (MD) def. Aimee Tarun (UI): 7-6(3), 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 4, 6, 3, 1, 5
1. Anastasia Reimchen/Zoe Douglas (UI) vs. Alexandra Stanova/Kristina Hovsepyan (MD):unfinished
2. Ekaterina Tour/Arnelle Sullivan (MD) def. Aimee Tarun/Carin Runefelt (UI): 6-3
3. Caroline Williams/Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) def. Kristen Thoms/Adorabol Huckleby (UI): 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 3