March 25, 2016
- Read the March issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, IA — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to the University of Wisconsin Badgers, 3-4, during Friday night’s match at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
The Hawkeyes were unable to clinch the doubles point. Adorabol Huckleby and Aimee Tarun fought a close match against Ekaterina Stepanova and Sydney Rider of Wisconsin, eventually falling, 7-6 (2), to solidify the doubles point for Wisconsin.
“We battled and came up short today,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “We knew the doubles point was going to be crucial.”
The Hawkeyes locked up three singles victories. Zoe Douglas defeated Ekaterina Stepanova, 6-3, 6-3. Kristen Thoms followed with a singles win over Maria Avgerinos, 6-4, 6-0. Freshman Adorabol Huckleby locked up the final singles win for the Hawkeyes, defeated Kelsey Grambeau of Wisconsin, 6-3, 6-4.
Anastasia Reimchen fell in the No. 1 spot to Lauren Chypyha, 6-3, 6-2. Annette Dohanics dropped a close match against Kendall Kirsch, 6-3, 7-5. Aimee Tarun fell to Lauren Burich, 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 6 spot.
“Dori, Zoe, and Kristen stepped up in singles today and did a great job,” said Dougherty. “We’re making progress, we have to regroup quickly and get ready for Minnesota.”
The Hawkeyes return to action this Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex against the University of Minnesota at 11 a.m. (CT). Admission is free.
IOWA 3, Wisconsin 4
1. Lauren Chypyha (Wisc) def. Anastasia Reimchen (IOWA), 6-3, 6-2
2. Zoe Douglas (IOWA) def. Ekaterina Stepanova (Wisc), 6-3, 6-3
3. Kristen Thoms (IOWA) def. Maria Avgerinos (Wisc), 6-4, 6-0
4. Kendall Kirsch (Wisc) def. Annette Dohanics (IOWA), 6-3, 7-5
5. Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA) def. Kelsey Grambeau (Wisc), 6-3, 6-4
6. Lauren Burich (Wisc) def. Aimee Tarun (IOWA), 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish (6, 1, 2, 3, 5, 4)
1. Douglas/Reimchen (IOWA) def. Chypyha/Burich (Wisc), 6-4
2. Stepanova/Rider (Wisc) def. Huckleby/Tarun (IOWA), 7-6 (2)
3. Grambeau/Kirsch (Wisc) def. Dohanics/Thoms (IOWA), 6-1
Order of Finish (3, 1, 2)