April 8, 2016
- Read the April issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
COLUMBUS, OHIO – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to the No. 3 ranked team in the country, the Ohio State University Friday night in Columbus, Ohio at the Varsity Tennis Center.
Adorabol Huckleby and Aimee Tarun fell to Gabriella De Santis and Sandy Niehaus, 6-0. Montana Crawford and Annette Dohanics dropped their doubles match, 6-1, on court No. 3 to Anna Sanford and Francesca Di Lorenzo, clinching the doubles point for the Buckeyes.
“We battled well tonight and Ohio State is a very good team,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “Picking up the win at No. 1 doubles was huge for us. Stash and Zoe have been getting better every day and I’m happy for them to have that feeling of beating a top five team.”
Three Hawkeyes faced ranked singles opponents from OSU. Zoe Douglas, at the No. 1 spot, fell to No. 4 Francesca Di Lorenzo, 6-2, 6-2. No. 129 Anna Sanford defeated Anastasia Reimchen in three sets, 5-7, 6-1, 6-3 on court No. 2. Freshman Adorabol Huckleby dropped a close match, 7-5, 7-5 to No. 79 ranked Sandy Niehaus.
Freshman Kristen Thoms fell 6-2 in both sets to Gabriella De Santis at the No. 3 singles spot. Junior Aimee Tarun also followed suit on court No. 4, 6-2 in both sets, falling to Miho Kowase. Freshman Montana Crawford fell to Grainne O’Neill of OSU, 6-3, 6-4 on court No. 6 to close out the win for the Buckeyes, 7-0.
“We were overall a much better team than we were last weekend and that’s what we wanted coming into the weekend,” said Dougherty. “A lot of good takeaways going into Penn State.”
The Hawkeyes return to the court Sunday at 10 a.m. in State College, Pennsylvania to take on Penn State University for another Big Ten matchup.
IOWA 0, Ohio State 7
1. #4 Francesca Di Lorenzo (OSU) def. Zoe Douglas (IOWA), 6-2, 6-2
2. #129 Anna Sanford (OSU) def. Anastasia Reimchen (IOWA), 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
3. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Kristen Thoms (IOWA), 6-2, 6-2
4. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Aimee Tarun (IOWA), 6-2, 6-2
5. #79 Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA), 7-5, 7-5
6. Grainne O’Neill (OSU) def. Montana Crawford (IOWA), 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish (1, 4, 3, 6, 5, 2)
1. Douglas/Reimchen (IOWA) def. #3 Kowase/Sanford (OSU), 6-2
2. De Santis/Niehaus (OSU) def. Huckleby/Tarun (IOWA), 6-0
3. Sneed/Di Lorenzo (OSU) def. Crawford/Dohanics (IOWA), 6-1
Order of Finish (2, 3, 1)